Re: Toyota Dealer Hard Sell on Service

Went to get an oil change this morning at the nearby Toyota dealer and

> left in frustration. The recommended service items for 45K are an oil > change, tire rotation, and cabin air filter cleaning, plus some > inspections that they do as part of their oil change service anyway. > > It was suddenly $196, up from $28.88 (which did not include the cabin > air filter cleaning or rotation). I need new tires anyway so I don't > care about the rotation. They gave me the hard sell on tires from them, > which were far more costly than Costco, with a poorer warranty. $100 for > mounting and balancing PLUS another $30 or so for "weights and valve > stems." Since when are weights charged separate from balancing? > > I finally just told him to give me my keys back, that I wasn't > interested, and he was really upset. > > That dealer gets crossed off the list for future service on any of our > three Toyotas.

Good for you ! If a few more customers start walking out on him he will get his mind right or go out of business.

Reply to
Fat Dumb & Happy

I suspect that the tread wear warranty is from Costco and not from the tire companies themselves.

Reply to
Ray O

I discovered many years ago that tire makers build inferior tires for Costco. Sorry to burst your bubble. I bought a set of Yokohama and they had a warranty of 40,000 miles. I got 30,000. I expected a pro-rate of 25%, AND discovered that America's Tire actually had a better Yokohama than Costco carried FOR THE SAME PRICE. I wanted the pro-rate on the tire and I wanted new tires from America's Tire, not the same tires from Costco. In the course of my ranting and raving, I was told that the tires made for Costco were not offered through the retail outlets, and if I wanted the pro-rate then I had to go back to Costco. I got the pro-rate off of the America's Tire version of Yokohama. Yokohama got the sale, I got the discount. I call that a win-win.

I'm all in for America's Tire Stores. Free rotate. Free flat repair. Better product at the same or better price.

No hot dogs though. That is a problem. The best lunch in town, any town, is a Costco Polish Dog with a double shot of sour kraut and all the fixin's and a drink, for a buck and a half.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

That they use a different, Costco-specific model number for the tire compared to the retail outlets doesn't mean that they're making an inferior part. It only means that the buyer can't comparison shop for price between Costco and a retail tire outlet, for example.

Go ahead, try to price shop a GE appliance at Sears against the "same" appliance at Home Depot against the "same" appliance at an appliance store. It'll be the same stuff, but the model numbers will be different.

That's common practice in the retail world. No magic, no conspiracy, no foil hat.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

And that could very well be. And that could be why Costco gets a different model number than the retail outlet.

But let's face it: the tire maker doesn't have the capacity nor the incentive to make a markedly different tire, nor do they want that model name sullied by slapping it onto a markedly inferior tire just to make Costco "happy".

The retail world is far, far more complex than he recognizes.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

You're right, that alone doesn't mean the product is inferior. (Maybe "inferior" is a term that is a bit harsh. I don't remember that I used it, I said that the retail product was better.)

But added to the experience of a set of tires that lasted 25% less than the advertised spec surely means the product is inferior. Not one tire, but all four of them.

Then, the manufacturer indicated on the phone that the product at retail was better than the product at Costco.

This adds up to an inferior product.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Not a probably--that's a definitely.