Re: Toyota Tundra - CRASH!

"George Orwell" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@mixmaster.it...

Autoblog
> About a month ago, we told you about the all-new Toyota Tundra's > stunning four-star NHTSA crash test score, which was lower than the > five stars received by the F-150 and Silverado. Toyota seemed as > surprised as anyone else by the test scores, and now they've saved > some > face by getting the highest possible score of "Good" from the IIHS > in > front crash testing for both the 2WD and 4WD Double Cab model >
> The poor showing in the NHTSA crash score testing was yet another > blow > to the Tundra as it was searching for respect in the > ultra-competitive > full-size pickup market, and with a "Good" score from the IIHS, we > think the San Antonio-made Tundra got quite a bit of that respect > back. > ---------- > Comments: > > --Soooo what's the difference between the NHTSA test and the IIHS > test > that caused the higher mark? > > --NHTSA is a full frontal collision at 35mph, IIHS is an offset > frontal > collision at 40mph. IIHS is a more severe test. > > --Why is there the need to have 2 different crash tests when one > comprehensive test would suffice? I think it causes confusion as to > which one is the better test as with the Tundra in the above > story... > > --LOL. Respect. Tundra. Sorry, those two words don't go together. > Try > again! > > --Ohh good, the anti-Toyota 'tards are out early today to provide me > a > hearty laugh as I start my workday.

Personally, I dislike the IIHS. The offset barrier test is unrealistically severe and yet is so specific that manufacturer's can design vehicles to do well in that specific test. The old Tundra did well in the offset barrier test, the old F150 did poorly yet both had essentially the same injury loss rating. If the results of the test aren't reflected in real world injury histories, what is the value of the test?

I also dislike the IIHS because they are constantly trying to ram safety features of dubious value down my throat (ABS, Air Bags, 5 mph Bumpers, etc.). Just remember, the IIHS is not a public interest group, it is funded by the Insurance Industry and it protects the interests of the insurance companies, which are not necessarily the same as yours.

One final thing. In the IIHS rating for the Tundra it was noted that "Two tests of this vehicle were conducted, one by the Institute and the other by the vehicle manufacturer as part of frontal crash test verification. Ratings are based on both tests." I wonder how different the test were?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Isn't it equivalent to just a 20 MPH crash into a solid barrier? I know that it's conducted at 40 MPH, but the vehicle crunches into a piece of honeycomb metal that simulates another car. IOW they crash

40 MPH into a parked car.

How did they do in the 35 MPH US government test? If they're similar there, it could mean that the government is correct that its test is more realistic. I used to hear owners German cars and Mercedes itself boast of how the offset test was more realistic.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

The IIHS offset barrier test uses a rigid barrier.

The new new Tundra only got four stars in the NHTSA frontal crash test. The old one got five stars. The current F150 got five stars in this test. I would guess Toyota will rework something to get five stars ASAP. Even the Tacoma got five stars. The Ford ad was actually referencing the NHTSA test, not the IIHS test. The IIHS gave the new Tundra a good rating (same as the F150). Too soon to have any injury loss data for the new Tundra.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

On Fri, 04 May 2007 18:30:22 +0000, C. E. White rebooted the Etch-A-Sketch and scribbled:

That's one thing about Toyota.

I remember a 60 minutes when they first did the offset crashes with Minivans. Ford, Toyota, Chevy/Pontiac and Dodge/Chrysler were all there with their respective minivans. Most did fairly well.

The Sienna - then new - failed due to a sensor setting the airbag off a few hundreths of a second early. Toyota immediately flew out a team of engineers to New York from Japan to study the Sienna. They then brought in four new vans and made various modifications until the van passed the test. Toyota apparently then set forth events to have a recall of the vans already sold to fix the sensor problem.

It was interesting to see how - instead of saying, "oh well" - Toyota spent the extra money to fly out staff and extra vans to ensure the test became successful. IIRC, this wasn't even a government test, but an insurance industry test.

Reply to
PerfectReign

An insurance industry test that gets played on Dateline.....

And if the Toyota engineers were so great, why did they have the problem in the first place? Sounds like the PR department was more worried about safety that the engineering department -. "Quick lets cover up our mistake by throwing a lot of bodies at it."

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Reply to