Re: Washable Air Filter?

1) Bigger font for the first part of the page would be easier on my old > eyes ;-)

My web skills are limited. I guess I thought my eyes were about as bad as they got :)

2) In addition to the comparison between K&N and a Wal-Mart filter, it > would be interesting to see the cost comparison between the K&N filter and > a Motorcraft filter priced at MSRP. Although the OEM filter may cost more > than the K&N, your point is still valid.

The $10 CarParts.com filter was a Motorcraft filter. Lately Wal*Mart has not carried the Motorcraft Filters . They now seem to carry only Fram filters for my old truck for around $10. Rock Auto has a range of filters for the old truck from $8.05 (Pro-Tec) to $31.99 (FRAM Air Hog). Amazon carries the correct Motorcraft filter for my old truck for $15.23. They also sell the K&N Filter for only $40.46 and the Care Kit for $8. Using these numbers, the K&N economics look a lot better. (5 x $15.23 = $75.15 for paper filters vs $48.46 for the K&N in 150,000 miles using my original assumptions about change intervals). Of course this still doesn't account for the pain of cleaning and re-oiling the K&N or the possibility of contaminating the MAF sensor.

It is my opinion that for the vast majority of people, using a K&N filter is not a smart decision. There are plenty of people who report remarkable gains in performance and unbelievable (and I really mean "unbelievable") gains in gas mileage. To each his own. I do know you'll never see one in my vehicles.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

You'll never see one on one of mine either!

Reply to
Ray O

You can always get same the benefits by installing the sticker.

Reply to
B A R R Y

...and that is a theft preventative.

What self respecting thief would steal a car with a badly worn engine caused by an air filter that lets in more dirt...

Reply to
Scott in Florida

If it's got a K&N intake or filter, it's obviously a high-performance racing vehicle, of course!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Good point.

Guess the thieves will nail that full race Corolla after all...LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I think it was B A R R Y who stated:

That goes without saying. I mean, it's obviously THE reason that installing a K&N system is such a popular upgrade on the xB site!

-Don (no K&N for me; I prefer longevity to performance)

Reply to
Don Fearn