recall on tundra and sequoia

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Toyota Motor Corp. said Thursday it was recalling

533,000 Tundra pickup trucks and Sequoia sport utility vehicles because of potential steering problems. Toyota said the recall involved 2004-2006 Tundra trucks and 2004-2007 Sequoia full-size SUVs. The automaker has received reports of 11 accidents and six injuries connected to the recall, said Toyota spokesman Bill Kwong. The automaker said there was a possibility of excessive wear to a front suspension lower ball joint that could make it difficult to steer the vehicle and stay in the center of the lane. Drivers may also notice more noise coming from the front suspension, Kwong said.

badgolferman

I was replacing lower balljoints on Tundras and Sequoias all last year like it was going out of style. Whats new about this one?

Reply to
qslim

I guess the difference is it is an official recall.

Reply to
badgolferman

No, there was a recall issued in 05 or 06 for lower ball joint replacement, I think it was # 50J or 50B. Maybe they extended the vin range or something.

Reply to
qslim

Plus the chance of a freebie bottle of champagne in the UK. :-)

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Can someone provide a photo of the affected parts so that I may get a better idea of what needs to be replaced. I believe my Sequoia will be one of the recalled vehicles. I'm not sure I know where the "lower ball joints" are, or what they do.

Thanks.

Reply to
Anonomouse

JoeSpareBedroom

Toyota may have a bigger problem than it appears. Excessive wear to a front suspension steering part in vehicles only a year or two old can't be a GOOD thing for their so called 'superior quality' image. Particularly on top of Toyota being the brand with the most recalls in 2006.. Dare somebody say the king has no clothes? ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

My guess is there have been so many replaced that Toyota can no longer hide the problem from the NHTSA as they have been prone to do with other problems.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Toyota old trick of repairing or replacing things when the vehicle is in for scheduled maintenance without informing the owners. The work is simply listed as 'Uncompleted TSB completed, no charge' on the billing and not listed on the warranty record. They are doing the same by 'cleaning' engines exhibiting 'Gelling' and not telling the owners, to get the car though the extended warranty period without having to repair or change the engine.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

They are below the upper ball joints and do the same thing, but on the bottom. Take you vehicle to a dealer if you have a concern, WBMA ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Who said there were clothes in the first place ;)

Mike Hunter wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

What the hell are you talking about? There is a national database accessible to all dealers that is updated whenever a TSB is done, so its on record. And there isn't a "policy" on doing work without the owners consent. In fact, several techs at the shop I was with were let go for doing such things, and there was a standing policy that owners had to consent to all work done to their vehicles, to include TSBs. I should volley personal attacks at you, ya nit.

Reply to
qslim

Hunter wanted to be a proctologist, but never got his GED. So, he tries to approximate that profession by pulling ideas out of his ass.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It works like when you take your car in for an oil change then all of a sudden a flaw in the steering system is "discovered" and gets fixed. This TSB=secret recall thingy I agree with Mike.

qslim wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

In 15 years working in the auto business, I've never run across a "secret recall." Issuing a TSB does not mean that any condition described in the TSB is covered by warranty or a recall. Also, in every state that I am aware of, it is illegal to perform any work on a customer's vehicle without the customer's consent, even if it would be covered by warranty or a recall. Toyota's warranty policies and procedures specifically prohibit doing any warranty or recall work without the customer's written consent, and the dealership risks a denial of the warranty claim if the repair order is not signed by the customer.

Reply to
Ray O

The TSB is already in the database as uncompleted VOLUNTARY recall. Of course management wants to know before a TSB is completed, not all TSBs are warrantable. You bet you ass they want the TSBs done that are warrantable. Particularly those that pay well, and do not tie up the tech for most of the time allowed to do the job, like cleaning an engine ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Get real, next time you sign repair order, read the fine print. Of course they are no 'secret' warranties, if there were the dealer would not know about them.. The dealership knows what is warrantable before they start the job by searching the VIN for outstanding TSBs. Customers no matter who the manufacturer, is not going to refuse to sign a FREE warranty claim form that informs him the work was done. If one informs a customer there are two uncompleted TSBs we can complete for free, do you think they will say no, if asked if they want them completed? If they ask for details they are told, but who asks about something that is free.. If one is paying for an oil change on a vehicle on which the engine was cleaned, what appears on the bill is the cost of the oil change and a notation that TBS #XXXX was completed at no charge. If they ask they will tell them we cleaned your engine.. Who many do you think will ask why? If they do ask, they will be told the oil looked pretty dirty.

mike

"Ray O" wrote in message news:2b18c$45b2fffb$47c2b532$ snipped-for-privacy@msgid.meganewsservers.com...

Reply to
Mike Hunter

AFAIK, Toyota's database only flags uncompleted SSC's. A Toyota dealership cannot look up work that was performed by another dealership, so there is no way for them to tell whether a TSB or warranty operation was performed by another dealership.

Reply to
Ray O