Recommended spark plugs for 1998 Corolla CE?

Threaded View

Hey all, first time posting to the group. Looking for some advice on
plugs for my wife's old 1998 Corolla CE. Most everywhere I go says to
stick with NGK and stay away from Champion. Any tips?

- Thee Chicago Wolf

Re: Recommended spark plugs for 1998 Corolla CE?

IMHO, would stick with OEM if possible but both NGK and Denso make fine
plugs. If you are going to keep the car for a while, consider the
iridium type.

You could check your owners manual for the exact plug specification
requirement and cross reference if you need or want to.

Re: Recommended spark plugs for 1998 Corolla CE?

Thanks much for the reply. The owner's manual is currently MIA so it's
part of the reason I'm asking here. Cheers.

- Thee Chicago Wolf

Re: Recommended spark plugs for 1998 Corolla CE?

You're welcome, good luck.

Re: Recommended spark plugs for 1998 Corolla CE?

Yes, I have seen these multi-ground plugs and some whizz-bang "super
spark" plugs with a million watt something-or-other but just good
quality plugs. I think I will be going with NGK or Denso as they seem
to have a great reputation. I will check under the hood and see what's
there. Thanks!

- Thee Chicago Wolf

Re: Recommended spark plugs for 1998 Corolla CE?

Use NGK Iridiums.  It's listed in NGK's application catalog. I'd stay
away from Densos.

www.ngksparkplugs.com

1998 TOYOTA COROLLA  1.8 L4 1ZZ-FE FI DOHC
Spark Plug     Part No.     Stock No.     Plug Gap     Photo
Standard     BKR5EKB-11 #     3967     .044
V-Power     BKR5E-11     6953     .044
G-Power     BKR5EGP     7090     .044
Laser Platinum     BKR5EKPB-11 *     4302     .044
Iridium IX     BKR5EIX-11     5464     .044
* "Laser Series" Platinum center electrode, and Platinum pad ground
electrode
# Original Equipment Manufacturer, and/or Original Equipment Service
Part
^ "Laser Series" Iridium center electrode, and Platinum pad ground
electrode
Wire Set     Part No.     Stock No.
Wire Set     TE64     7899

Re: Recommended spark plugs for 1998 Corolla CE?

Japanese brand plugs for Japanese brand cars
American brand plugs for American brand cars
German brand plugs for German brand cars.

Only NGK plugs for Honda

Toyota owns a big chunk of Denso.

So I'd get NGK or Denso plugs for a Corolla.

Order plugs according to the car, not the plugs currently in there,
because they may be different.  For example, with my Chrysler 318, the
Densos that subbed for the Champions were too cold and of a different
part number than the Densos made for that 318.

Site Timeline