Recommended spark plugs for 1998 Corolla CE?

Hey all, first time posting to the group. Looking for some advice on plugs for my wife's old 1998 Corolla CE. Most everywhere I go says to stick with NGK and stay away from Champion. Any tips?

- Thee Chicago Wolf

Thee Chicago Wolf wrote:

IMHO, would stick with OEM if possible but both NGK and Denso make fine plugs. If you are going to keep the car for a while, consider the iridium type.

You could check your owners manual for the exact plug specification requirement and cross reference if you need or want to.

Thanks much for the reply. The owner's manual is currently MIA so it's part of the reason I'm asking here. Cheers.

- Thee Chicago Wolf

Thee Chicago Wolf wrote:

You're welcome, good luck.

Yes, I have seen these multi-ground plugs and some whizz-bang "super spark" plugs with a million watt something-or-other but just good quality plugs. I think I will be going with NGK or Denso as they seem to have a great reputation. I will check under the hood and see what's there. Thanks!

- Thee Chicago Wolf

Use NGK Iridiums. It's listed in NGK's application catalog. I'd stay away from Densos.

www.ngksparkplugs.com

1998 TOYOTA COROLLA 1.8 L4 1ZZ-FE FI DOHC Spark Plug     Part No.     Stock No.     Plug Gap     Photo Standard     BKR5EKB-11 #     3967     .044 V-Power     BKR5E-11     6953     .044 G-Power     BKR5EGP     7090     .044 Laser Platinum     BKR5EKPB-11 *     4302     .044 Iridium IX     BKR5EIX-11     5464     .044 * "Laser Series" Platinum center electrode, and Platinum pad ground electrode # Original Equipment Manufacturer, and/or Original Equipment Service Part ^ "Laser Series" Iridium center electrode, and Platinum pad ground electrode Wire Set     Part No.     Stock No. Wire Set     TE64     7899

Thee Chicago Wolf wrote:

Japanese brand plugs for Japanese brand cars American brand plugs for American brand cars German brand plugs for German brand cars.

Only NGK plugs for Honda

Toyota owns a big chunk of Denso.

So I'd get NGK or Denso plugs for a Corolla.

Order plugs according to the car, not the plugs currently in there, because they may be different. For example, with my Chrysler 318, the Densos that subbed for the Champions were too cold and of a different part number than the Densos made for that 318.