Recommended Tires for a 1998 Toyota Corolla?

Bingo what? Your erroneous capitalizations have nothing to do with computers.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

After all his bull shit.....he admits we are right....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

And I can't understand that. What difference does age make when shopping for tires? It's assumeds if someone comes in looking for info on tires, then the best bet is to go with a good tire that serves your purpose.

The OP indicated he liked snow tires for winter, and All-Seasons for the rest of the year. But his initial post saud, "Suggestions Welcome".

This leaves a whole can of worms. I myself would go one rim size larger if I couls afford it and go with the fattest tires I could fit on the car. That's my suggestion. How does age play into that?

Maybe he was looking for the best tire to fit the existing rims. I'd go with BF Goodrich Radial T/A or a similar tire.

Obviously, he's looking to buy new tires, so I still fail to see how the age of the driver plays into it.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I know.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Well, it's good to see that YOU can't understand how someone's age fits into a tire buying decision, too.

Reply to
Hachiroku

When you figure out which side of your face you're talking out of, let the rest of us know, 'K?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Coastal Maine, so rainy, foggy, and snowy. It snows from October to April. Average snowfall is 5ft. I usually stay in when it snows or rains, but will sometimes venture out in rain when needed.

I am 25. I have had one at-fault accident due to inattention, but helped by the poor conditions. I have also had one speeding ticket.

I am wondering if it is worth trying the high end tires once. I would put them on the front and put the current front ones on the back to replace the back ones which need to be changed. The tread wear indicators are showing on the back tires.

Reply to
C Yohman

You want Nokian WR tires. Believe me - you'll like them.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Thanks to everyone who responded. It has given me something to think about. I wish the ultralight aircraft newsgroup was as active as this one. I should also add I do not typically drive more than 10,000 miles year. I walk to work and only drive the car on the weekends.

Reply to
C Yohman

'K!

Hmmm...you're 25 and you're not spinning the tires off the rim?! Man, when I was your age...but that's another story!

I live in Mass. Not *quite* as bad, but sometimes close. I had Bridgestone Blizzaks (one time I bought used tires and DIDN'T get bit...even used they were $45 each)for a winter tire. You can also get Mastercraft Glacier Grip, they're a Blizzak rip-off, also a decent tire. Since you don't go out much, save the money on the heavy-duty tires and get something inexpensive. Cooper makes good, inexpensive tires, as does Delta.

Does your driving increase in the summer? If so, go with a better tire. I have Hankook K-106 on my Supra, a really nice, inexpensive tire. Again, a Delta or a Cooper if you don't drive a lot.

And while you can mix tires on different axles (similar tires on the front/ similar tires on the rear) most people don't recommend this for winter. One set may have more grip than the other, and the end that's not gripping may have a tendancy to skid.

And, bear in mind new studies on tires have shown that if they're 6 years old or more, scrap 'em! They have found the compounds break down over time and recommend a six-year maximum.

Good Luck!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Thanks. I am calling around today. My choices for tire dealers are VIP, Sears, and several local ones.

Reply to
C Yohman

Yeah, Sears! They are ALWAYS having sales on tires in your car's size!

I bought the absolute CHEAPEST tires I could for my Winter Beater, Remington "All-Season", for $29 a tire brand new.

A week later Sears came out with their flyer, either Goodyear or another name brand tire for $10 for a more agressive All Season tread design.

Tell me I wasn't kicking myself...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Reply to
C Yohman

Never heard of VIP. Coopers are harsh and noisy, but last forever! Goodrich, Bridgestone and Goodyear are all good tires. Can you post links?

The other thing I do when trying to decide on tires is to go to Tirerack.com, look up the tires I'm interested in and see what people had to say about them. They also has (subjective) ratings on grip, noise, durability, etc presented as a chart.

Reply to
Hachiroku