Record corn prices mean more expensive meat, dairy products

NEW YORK (AP) ? Raging Midwest floodwaters that swallowed crops and sent corn and soybean prices soaring are about to give consumers more grief at the grocery store.

In the latest bout of food inflation, beef, pork, poultry and even eggs, cheese and milk are expected to get more expensive as livestock owners go out of business or are forced to slaughter more cattle, hogs, turkeys and chickens to cope with rocketing costs for corn-based animal feed.

Rod Brenneman, president and chief executive of Seaboard Foods, a pork supplier in Sawnee Mission, Kan. that produces 4 million hogs a year, said high corn costs were already forcing producers in his industry to cut back on the number of animals they raise.

"There's definitely liquidation of livestock happening," and that will cause meat prices to rise later this year and into 2009, said Brenneman, who is also the vice chairman of the American Meat Institute.

Brenneman's cost for feeding a single hog has shot up $30 in the past year because of record-high prices for corn and soybeans, the main ingredients in animal feed. Passing that increase on to consumers would tack an extra 15 cents per pound onto a pork chop.

It's a similar story for U.S. beef producers, who now spend a whopping 60-70 percent of their production costs on animal feed and are seeing that number rise daily as corn prices hover near an unprecedented $8 a bushel, up from about $4 a year ago.

"This is not sustainable. The cattle industry is going to have to get smaller," said James Herring, president and CEO of Amarillo, Tex.-based Friona Industries, which buys 20 million bushels of corn each year to feed

550,000 cattle.

Corn's prices were already rising before the floods, driven up 80 percent over the past year as developing countries like China and India scramble for grains to feed people and livestock. U.S. production of ethanol, an alternative fuel that can be made with corn, has also pushed prices higher, prompting livestock owners to lobby Washington to roll back ethanol mandates.

Reply to
Mark A

The biggest hog farmer in my area dropped out of the business lat year when he saw where corn prices were heading.

Yep, but there alternatives for many uses. Heaven forbid they actually use sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. Eliminating the duties on imported sugar could help with some of these uses.

Well I planted over 10% less corn because I can make more money on other crops (soybeans, peanuts). Heck, in recent yeas I made more money per acre on pasture than on corn. Corn prices have been depressed for decades. If you adjust prices for inflation, it is still relatively cheap compared to the mid seventies, or dirt cheap compared to the 1920's. I thought I was going to make decent money on corn. Unfortunately every supplier (fertilizer, seeds, chemicals) took advantage of the projected high corn prices to jack up their prices as well. If I am lucky, I'll clear about the same as last year, and the year before per acre. This just means next year, I plant even less corn.

I pre-sold half my crop for only $5.60. However, when you are used to $1.86, that looks awfully good. The buyer took the risk, not me. In fact for the past decade, the speculators have been taking a beating betting on corn prices. I wish I had corn in bins to sell today. The price for immediate delivery is unbelievable.

Sometimes. But I wager there are plenty of losing speculators out there as well. I am sure quite few speculators sold corn short. I'd hate to be in their shoes now. Unfortunately if it doesn't rain on my corn soon, I will be.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I wouldn't mind at all seeing meat prices go thru the roof. Fewer cattle means less manure and less methane, which are both desirable end results....(no pun intended)

Reply to
mack

Ah yes, but imagine all of the "alternate fuel" we can obtain to pacify the environuts. By the way, have you ever been in Lancaster County in Pennsylvania, in the spring, at anytime in the past 200 years? LOL

Reply to
Mike hunt

When the dimmies get their way, you too will have a biomass system for your home. The more you crap the warmer your house will be in the winter. When everyone has a biomass system, the air quality will change, we will get used to it however.

Reply to
dbu

I have a "real" job and farm on weekends, vacation, and flex time. The total crop land I tend is about 350 acres. I usually lease out around

65 of that total to another farmer to raise cotton. This year I have around 95 acres of corn, 102 acres of soybeans, 30 acres of peanuts, 40 acres of pasture, and the rest leased out to cotton. My Father made a decent living on 115 acres less than I farm today, but I don't make enough from farming to clear the povery line. For me farming has been reduced to a low cost hobby (some years I even make money at it:)). When I was a boy, there were dozens of famers in the township where my farm is located. These days there are three principal mega-farmers that farm most of the land plus a couple of medium sized farmers. I am on the big end of the three or so small famers left in the area.

You can't flood where my farm is located unless you raise the ocean, but too much rain can be a problem - mostly when it comes to harvest time.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Another casualty is quality corn. They're harvesting too early, and the corn is terrible.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

I assume you are talking about sweet corn, not field corn. All my corn is field corn (hard yellow #2 corn) except for about 1/3 acre that I plant in sweet corn for my mother.

Until this year one local farmer raised lots of sweet corn, mostly for export to New York / the Northeast. He quit this year. Too much competition form further south. It used to be that there was a range of dates where corn from my area (NE North Carolina) was all that was available to the Northeast (after Florida, before the Eastern Shore, Pa, and New York). Now the farmers in Florida and Georgia have expanded there season so it over laps ours. The sweet corn market is brutal. The shipping costs to the Northeast are high, and if they see a worm, they will reject a whole case. I find this especially funnny. If you don't see worms, it means they have sprayed the crap out of the corn with insecticides. I'd rather have a few worms that all that pesticide residue.

Last Sunday I had some really good sweet corn. I have no idea where it was grown, but it was excellent. Have you checked out the local farmer's markets? North Carolina sweet corn should be in season now through early July.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

"C. E. White" ...

Yes, sweet corn. I haven't tried any field corn in some time.

What a lovely dilemma. :-P

We usually buy frozen corn, but I think I'll try a farmer's market, then freeze the corn.

Thanks!

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

What ever they do, please don't mess with popcorn.

Reply to
dbu

Don't worry, the farmers already did it for you - there's more money in field corn and sweet corn, and popcorn is a lot finickier to grow.

They did an article where all the major popcorn producers have to send out advance men and almost have to beg farmers to plant it.

"Now hold on to your hats and glasses, 'cause this here's the Wildest Ride in the Wilderness!"

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I guess I'll have to stockpile popcorn. Maybe for a futures market in popcorn.

Reply to
dbu

"Hachiroku" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@e86.GTS...

Field corn, if picked at the right time, is really good. For many years my father would plant a couple of acres of white field corn (this corn is often used to make white corn meal). Along around late June / Early July we would start checking the corn. We were looking for filled out but not hard kernels. When my Grandfather and/or Father decided the time was right we would gather the family and neighbors and start pulling corn. It was almost an industrial operation. We would go out into the field and pull bushels of corn, take it back to the house, shuck it, silk it (remove the silk from between the grains), chop the ends off the ears, dump the ears in boiling water, cut the corn off the cob, and then freeze the corn. We would put up enough corn to last three or four families for a year. You could do exactly the same thing with yellow field corn. With "field corn" it is all about the timing if you want to eat it. Pick it too soon and the kernels are not filled out and there isn't much sugar in the kernels. Wait too long and the corn becomes hard and the sugar is converted to starch. "Sweet corn" is just corn that has been bred to create more sugar and to stay "sweet" longer. If you leave it in the field long enough it will get hard as well. Thee days I just plant a small patch of sweet corn for my Mother. It tends to get ready in early July, but the picking time is not critical. She'll pull a few ears over a period of a few days to a couple of weeks and get all she needs for the year. Worms aren't too bad with early corn (the population builds up later in the year). The ears tend to be smaller, but the corn is usually very sweet. Unfortunately for the last couple of years, we have had dry corn growing seasons, which limits the quality.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

"C. E. White" ...