Reg Gas For 6 Cyl 2005 Camrys ?

Hello:

Do the 6 Cyl 2005 Camrys take reg. gas ?

I heard, as contrasted to the 6 cyl Accords, they require Premium; true ?

Thanks, Bob

BTW: any idea when the 2006 will be showing up ?

Reply to
Robert11

If the requirement is other than regular, it should be marked on the inside of the filler door, or in the manual.

Obviously, it is new. A new car's octane requirement is lower, due to the fact there is no carbon build-up, etc. As carbon collects on the top of the pistons and the cylinder head, the compression of the engine rises, and a higher octane is required to prevent 'knock'.

We've discussed this here before: I use ONLY 93 octane, no matter what car. I get better gas mileage, and none of my cars have ever knocked or pinged.

Alternately, every once in a while add a bottle of Chevron Techron, or use Chevron gas, which has Techron in it. It prevents carbon build up, and removes carbon buildup on older engines.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I use exactly what the manufacturer recommends, which for almost all my vehicles has been 87...I've been driving (average mileage) for around 55 years. I've never had 'detonation damage' on any engine (that I knew about).

I contend that if you don't need the higher octane to prevent detonation then you're wasting your money to buy it, because that's ALL the higher octane does, it cannot possibly increase your power, help your mileage, or reduce your waistline.

Now, don't give me a lotta guff about additives reducing carbon etc, that's likely so but we're talking Octane here...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

I have had a 'little black book' in all my cars, where I record the mileage on EVERY fill up! On my 1980, I ran Gasahol. Mileage? 36 MPG. when I ran Premium, the same or 37. On regular? 31-33. Approx 40 miles per tankful. And, no problems with detonation, never have. All cars over

190,000 miles. I dunno, but it seems to work for me. I didn't USED to mind spending the extra money; I'm talking my CAR here! But now...

What I have been doing for the past year has been 1/4 tank 89, and the next fill-up 1/4 tank 93. It runs 91 and doesn't cost as much as 93, and the cars run well.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Don't you see the answer here?...you had detonation with the lower Octane fuel...this reduces your efficiency and gas mileage. It was likely just light detonation and likely wasn't too noticeable but was enough to drop your mileage a bit.

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Honestly they all need more than 87 octane to do their best, especailly in hot weather where octane requirements increase. Best afvise is to drive it with different gas grades and see how it runs because though it may notknock on 87, the engine ECM will sense the tendanncy for the knock and adjust timing to limit it before you even here it and in doing so it will effect performace and MPG negatively. I drove a 91 cyl camary 220k miles and it always ran better on 89 or better gas especaily in hot weather.

Reply to
SnoMan

While this is true least not forget that modern engine has 9.5 to one compression or higher to miximize power and MPG and they try to use low octane fuel through use of EGR gases and retarding timing no of which is condusive to good power and MPG. When 87 octane fuel first came out cars were 8 or 8.5 to one compression and they tolerated this fuel better but modern cars may run on it but give the price of gas and that fact that percentage wide higher octane fuel is do little more (especailly 89 octane) there is no reason to pay 30 to 30 grand for a car and try to burn the cheapest gas posible when it may be more economical with todays prices to use better fuel.

Reply to
SnoMan

Manufactures put 87 in manual because to put 89 or more is a death sentence to sales not because it does not need more octane to do its best. Also they generally do not use 87 when they run EPA tests because there is no requirement to use it in test either. Law of physics require higher octane dual as compression goes up as well as tempatures and they retard pinging/knocking by mixing EGR gases and retarding spark a lot when it senses the vibrations cause by knock before you hear it. That fact that you do not here it does not mean it is not happening or trying to happen, only that it is within the range abilty of the ECM to controll thru retarding the spark and nothing more and everytime you retartd the spark, you loose power and MPG. When you do here a knock it is because it is wanting to knock so badly the it has exceeded the ECM?s abilty to retard timing enough to control it and nothing more. If I used your logic I would have to retard the base line timing on my 89 burb by 8 degrees or more to be able to tolerate 87 in warm weather and when you do that the performance greatly suffers and the MPG drops 3 to 4 MPG on the hiway too. I get as high as 19mpg now on highway and with if I used 87 I was "lucky" if I got 15 and it was a slug too.

Reply to
SnoMan

Thank you! I have been saying the same thing in this group for about a year! I got better mileage, too (as you hinted...)

Reply to
hachiroku

A'yup...well by gar, it's sure a bugger to arggy them facks ain't it now bubba??

Reply to
Gord Beaman

When you've proven to me that you know more about Toyota engines than all the engineers at the 'Toyota headshed' then I'll believe your poorly written and even more poorly thought out post.

Until then...

Reply to
Gord Beaman