Replaced Battery but Car Won't Start with Spare Key

I recently replaced a dead battery in my 2003 Toyota Avalon, but now my spare key will not start the car. The primary key that went in with the car when the battery was replaced works fine. Did the security system reset and thus cause my spare to stop working? Is there any way to remedy this problem myself rather than pay a dealership to do it?

Reply to
Boerne Math Tutor

I have no idea. But did you look in the owner's manual?

Reply to
Jeff

Do you have an "auto" light in the drivers window switch that is illuminated? I know from 2005 to current model when you disconnect the battery there is a reset for the windows. The car will start using the primary key, I haven't tried the spare ever. The procedure was in the owners manual. That's my best guess.

Reply to
user

Normally, replacing the battery won't "reset" your antitheft code. I believe the problem lies elsewhere. Perhaps you should try looking for fuses, check to ensure proper fuel pressure, spark, etc first.

I've had batteries die on my Toyota and Lexus vehicles. None ever needed reprogramming after the battery was changed. Of course, there's always a remote possibility.

Reply to
Viperkiller

When you say that the spare key will not start the car, does it crank or not crank with the spare key?

Reply to
Ray O