replacing lost ignition key?

I want to try to restore my dad's '87 toyota pickup, which has been parked in a barn. Being in his 80's dad can't remember where he put the only key he had. Is there some way I can get a new one made? This vintage truck had only one non-electronic key for everything, doors and ignition. How do I go about it, who does it?

Reply to
jhill

Your Toyota dealer may be able to make you a key, based on the VIN. They may ask you to show proof of ownership of that VIN (show them the title or registration in your name).

We had a couple of new keys cut for a Toyota we bought used when only copies were supplied with the car. They charged $5 per key, I think. Your mileage may vary.

Reply to
DH

Is the Owner's manual stuff still around...In my '87 corolla, they had a couple of small stickers that came with the book (well, the books, the warranty book, owners etc.) that had the key code.....

In the old days, they used to "hide" the key code in certain places in the vehicle, like in a door panel or something, but if you can get it made cheap at the dealer (like $15 or less), it wouldn't be worth pulling off panels.....

Reply to
timbirr

They should be able to cut the key from the VIN. You will need to bring a registration, title, etc to verify you own the truck (or your Dad, anyway).

Barring that, the key code is located on the lock cylinder on the passenger's door.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I would start at the local locksmith ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I was told that it is stamped into the back side of the door handle or maybe the door lock cylinder (more likely) . You have to remove the inner door panel - not sure if it was one or both sides. If I recall its a letter and

4 numbers. This was also stamped on a smal 1/4 x 1/2 aluminim tag that came with the keys. I've found NO correlation between key # and VIN.
Reply to
Wolfgang

Toyota can make a key from the VIN.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

We went though this a few months ago. Then, it was decided that Toyota does NOT keep a database of key codes matched to VINs, although the dealer that originally sold the car may have.

On passenger cars the key code is inside the passenger door, stamped somewhere on the lock mechanism. It may be the same for pickup trucks.

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen

About 80% of the ~'87 Toyota pickups I have seen (which is a lot) You can get in the truck and start it with another old key from a vehicle of the same general age. This is because the lock cylinders get worn out easily. If the ignition was ever replaced this probably won't work. My worn out key from my '91 Corolla would start my dad's '87 pickup, my girlfriend's '85 pickup, and her cousin Andy's '87 4x4 pickup. Strangely enough, none of these vehicles' keys would start my corolla, but the keys from two Hondas, a '90 civic and a '92 accord, would.

Long story, short: find some people with vehicles near the age of your vehicle and give them a try. Just if they don't want to go in, don't force them. Brian

Reply to
Brian

If you have the tag that came with the keys, then you're home free. That's the Key Code that tells a lock smith how to cut the key.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland