Replacing Stereo

2000 Avalon XLS I bought a OEM replacement for my wife's Avalon. Now I have to take out the original and put in this new (used) one. I printed out a how-to from the Web. Any hints, pitfalls? Thanks. jor
Reply to
jor

Only trick is some use an external OEM amplifier --- without it the radio won't work (you'll notice that the plugs won't match up).

Reply to
Wolfgang

This is an OEM replacement pulled from a wrecked car. I bought it on eBay. Anyhow, I did the deed yesterday. It went fine with the exception of the plastic piece for the air vents. The directions say something like, "Carefully pull the unit toward you." After carefully and not so carefully pulling, prying, pinching and cursing the damn thing came out. The event was accompanied by a couple of "boing" sounds which occurred when the crazy metal clips went flying off into the innards of the car. Oh well, the new unit works great and the platic piece looks like its secure. I'll pick up some clips at the dealer today. The dealer must have some trick for getting that thing out of there! jor

Reply to
jor

If it's anything like a Philips radio which came with a Volvo I owned, there'll be a funny tool which slides a cunningly shaped bit of metal in through a slot you'd otherwise ignore.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Reply to
Wolfgang

Do you know how I can remove the radio in an '04 Highlander? I'd like to jack into the CD changer input (if there is one!) to connect an adapter for an iPod feed.

Thanks.

BC

Reply to
BCDrums

Try the instructions on this site:

Ray O

Hey Ray, great site! I wish I had seen this Monday. Anyhow, how do you query a specific model to get an instruction document like the one you referenced? I see tools, accessories and so on but no instructions. Thanks. jor

Reply to
jor

Got to where it says VSM and then lookup the car you want to 'buy' a mount for. Only trouble is, they don't go very far back on a lot of models, and Supra wasn't even listed!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Go to

and then click on the VSM-Vehicle Specific Mounts link and on the page that comes up, click on the VSMs Currently Available link near the top of the page and on the next page, navigate through the make, year, model info.

Pro-fit mounts are mounting brackets for mounting accessories like cell phones, GPS, etc. Most of their mounts are mounted near the factory radio and their on line instructions for installing the mounts show how to get to the radio. In place of the hook tool that they describe in the instructions, a trim removal tool, which looks like a wide screwdriver with a notch in the blade, or a putty knife, will do the trick.

Another source of mounting brackets and instructions is

On their main page, click on the Indash by Panavise link and navigate from there. They also have specific instructions when you click on the part numbers for specific models but the instructions don't have pictures.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks Hach and Ray. This is a keeper. jor

Reply to
jor

You're welcome!

Reply to
Ray O

;) but it was really Ray that turned ME on to this link! I just figured out how to 'manilpulate' it!

There used to be another good installation place on the web, the Installation Doctor (?) and it used to be free, but I think they charge now...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Reply to
Wolfgang