Resistance is futile

Auto industry analyst Rob Golding...observed that the financial markets appear to have heavily backed the Japanese carmakers to succeed in the long-term.

"What is truly staggering is the degree to which shareholders still believe that in the mass market, it is really only the Japanese who are a guaranteed, all-weather money-making machine. [In terms of market capitalization] Toyota is worth a whopping $192 billion and Honda is worth $63 billion. Nissan, despite its recent fall from grace, is worth $45 billion.

"Toyota is worth more than the entire European car industry put together - Daimler included. Honda is worth more than Ford [$16.5 billion], GM [$17.7 billion] and the Korean stocks [Hyundai and Kia] put together, and Nissan could vacuum up all of the new companies in China and India without pausing for a share issue." ========== Market caps as of the close of trading, 21 May 2007

Reply to
George Orwell

Resistance is futile....sounds like a Borg Warning

Reply to
<HLS

Um...I thought that was why he said it that way.

But then, I'm a Trekkie, so...

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

So that makes him a Borg Warner?? ;>)

Reply to
<HLS

... | | "Wickeddoll"... | >

| > ... | > | Resistance is futile....sounds like a Borg Warning | > | | > | | >

| > Um...I thought that was why he said it that way. | >

| > But then, I'm a Trekkie, so... | >

| > Natalie | >

| | So that makes him a Borg Warner?? ;>) | |

OK, you have this coming:

*fwap*

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

No, he is just transmitting his opinion. Double tap

Reply to
Double Tap

It was good for me;>)

Reply to
<HLS

baliff, whack his pee pee! (i'm a pythoner, myself.)

Reply to
someone

9mm
Reply to
someone

CZ-PO1

Reply to
Double Tap

... | In article : | | >

| >"Wickeddoll" ... | >>

| >> ... | >> | Resistance is futile....sounds like a Borg Warning | >> | | >> | | >>

| >> Um...I thought that was why he said it that way. | >>

| >> But then, I'm a Trekkie, so... | >>

| >> Natalie | >>

| >So that makes him a Borg Warner?? ;>) | >

| baliff, whack his pee pee! | (i'm a pythoner, myself.)

Me too!

Oops- this *started* as a car topic...

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

"George Orwell" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@mixmaster.it...

I don't think that's all that interesting of an observation. GM literally has borrowed all it can, and Ford has too. The market is really forced to accept that, if the bank says so. Does that make sense? If I borrow all the bank will let me, then my net worth has gotta be near zero. The bank says so, and everybody else better go along.

The deciding factor is not the markets, it's when the bank starts getting scared.

Reply to
Joe

"Joe" | > Auto industry analyst Rob Golding...observed that the financial markets | > appear to have heavily backed the Japanese carmakers to succeed in the | > long-term. | >

| | I don't think that's all that interesting of an observation. GM literally | has borrowed all it can, and Ford has too. The market is really forced to | accept that, if the bank says so. Does that make sense? If I borrow all | the bank will let me, then my net worth has gotta be near zero. The bank | says so, and everybody else better go along. | | The deciding factor is not the markets, it's when the bank starts getting | scared. | | But what scares them? Bad business, no?

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

Ouch!

Larry Behold Beware Believe

: > Um...I thought that was why he said it that way. : >

: > But then, I'm a Trekkie, so... : >

: > Natalie : >

: : So that makes him a Borg Warner?? ;>) : :

Reply to
Leviathan

Sometimes it makes one wonder, Natalie....We have seen people like Donald Trump get up projects in which he risks none of his money, and when they fail (as happened a few years ago) the banks and investors lose millions. Still, he can always get people to put money into his projects, I guess because he wins more than he loses.

People dont really believe that GM or Ford will really go down for the count. Historically, it has been rare for this to happen to such large industries. But it HAS happened.

Time will tell.

Reply to
<HLS

Could break up/be broken up.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Those are possibilities. If they choose to take bankruptcy, then stocks can become worthless, contracts can be cancelled, and the company may be allowed to reorganized without harrassment by creditors...

An example of a company that went to hell in a handbasket was PanAm...Even restructuring under bankruptcy protection couldnt save them.

Reply to
<HLS

Yeah, it definitely was a transmission problem....

Reply to
Steve

How dare you guys make this *on*-topic for cars!

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll