Response from Toyta, 2008 Supra

Come on, you Supra fans! Let them know where we stand!!!

From: Ask Toyota To: hachiroku snipped-for-privacy@hoo.com Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2006 8:59 PM Subject: 2008 Supra [Incident: 061018-000042]

Recently you contacted Toyota. Below is a summary of your contact message and our response.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject 2008 Supra

Discussion Thread Response (James) 10/26/2006 05:59 PM Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. At this time, Toyota has announced no plans to bring back the Supra. We are however, constantly researching the market to identify popular vehicles.

We have included this hyperlink to Supra history.

You may wish to click on the hyperlink in this sentence for information regarding Online Toyota Technical Information available by short- and longer-term subscription as a lower-cost alternative to purchasing a repair manual, and at no charge, recommended service intervals.

Toyota manuals are available for purchase.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #200610261609. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

For more Toyota information, please check out Toyota Express Lube, ToyotaOwnersOnline.com, our Glossary and printable Do-It-Yourself Instructions.

See Genuine Toyota Accessories for the Toyota of your choice.

Toyota Customer Experience

SUPRA

Series Chronology

1979 - Celica Supra debuts with 2.6L SOHC engine as development of Celica line. 1981 - 2.8L SOHC engine introduced. 1982 - 2nd generation Supra, 2.8L DOHC engine. 1982 - CY 1982 - Supra wins Motor Trend "Import Car of the Year". 1986 - CY 1986 1/2. 3rd generation, 3.0L DOHC engine. 1987 - Supra Turbo debuts. 1993 - 4th generation. 1994 - CY 1994 - Wins Popular Mechanics "Design and Engineering Awards". 1996 - Six-speed manual transmission dropped due to emission regulations. 1997 - Return of the six-speed manual transmission. 1997 - Minor revision to head- and tail-lights, intro of 15th Anniversary model. 1998 - VVT-i on non-turbo models, no Turbos with Calif.-emissions 1999 - Supra production ceases

Toyota introduced the Celica Supra in 1979. Its styling was based upon the popular Celica liftback design, but it was both longer and wider. It was the engine, though, that made the Supra stand apart from the Celica.

The Supra's 2.6-liter inline-6 engine was the first Toyota production engine to be equipped with electronic fuel injection. The Supra was available with both a manual and automatic transmission, and came standard with 4-wheel-independent suspension and 4-wheel disc brakes.

Except for the addition of luxury items such as optional leather seating and automatic climate-control, the Supra remained unchanged until

1981. In that year, Supra was given a 2.8-liter single overhead cam engine, a revised 4-speed automatic transmission and final drive gearing, and was optionally available with a new Sport Suspension package. 1982 saw a complete redesign of the Supra, along with the entire Celica line-up. Now available as two distinct models, L-type and Performance, Supra also received another engine upgrade. The new 5M-GE engine still displaced 2.8 liters, but now sported double overhead cams. Both the L-type and Performance package vehicles were mechanically identical, with differences limited to fender flares, wider wheels and tires, and a sport interior on the Performance package.

Slight changes on the 1984 models were limited to minor engine modifications on the manual transmission-equipped vehicles (higher compression ratio and larger diameter intake).

The next major change was 1986 1/2 when the Supra was finally given its own identity. No longer part of the Celica range, the 1986 1/2 Supra was equipped with a 3.0 liter DOHC engine and retained the four-wheel disc brakes and all-independent suspension of its predecessors. In 1987, Toyota added a turbocharged model to the line, making the it the first Toyota model to be available with both a turbocharged engine and anti-lock brakes. The

1987 Supras were available with an optional targa-type Sport Roof for open-air driving.

With the exception of minor styling updates, the next major change occurred in 1993, when the Supra entered the realm of "supercars." Available in both Turbo and non-Turbo guise, the new Supra was a radical departure from Supras of old. Performance was now the name of the game, and many weight saving measures were employed -- Toyota went so far as to equip the vehicle with hollow carpet fibers and make the rear spoiler (optional on Turbo models) hollow. The Turbo model was hailed by all major magazines as a true worldbeater. With 320-horsepower, the vehicle was capable of 0-60 mph sprints in under 5 seconds, and carried on to an electronically-limited top speed of 155 mph. This was the highest level of performance, and the strongest commitment to performance, Toyota had ever placed in one vehicle.

With a major redesign in mid-1993, Supra carried on to 1994 unchanged. The next time Supra would see any change was for the 1996 model year. Due to ever-tightening emission regulations, the six-speed manual transmission in the Turbo model was dropped from the lineup. Still available in the Turbo was the four-speed electronically controlled automatic. This transmission incorporated a manual shift mode allowing the driver to select gears, but also providing a fully-automatic mode. Minor updates were also made to the interior and option list.

1997 saw the return of the six-speed manual transmission to the Supra line, and the revision and addition of minor trim items. Head- and tail-lights received a new graphite surround (rather than the previous chrome), and all Turbo models sported "Turbo" badging. All 1997 Supras were sold as Limited Edition 15th Anniversary models. All Supras also received additional frame strengthening and sound-deadening material.

For the 1998 model year, emissions regulations have again caused changes in Supra's availability. No turbocharged models will be available in California-emission states, and only automatic non-turbos will sold in those same areas. On the plus side, Variable Valve Timing with intelligence adds five horsepower to the non-turbo engine, bringing it to 225. Limited-slip differentials are standard on all models. As with all other 1998 Toyotas, radio head units are redesigned.

Due to the decline in the high-performance vehicle segment, Supra ceased production for the 1999 model year.

What does Supra mean?

Supra: Supra is a prefix meaning to surpass or go beyond.

Where was it built?

Supra was built at the Motomachi Plant in Toyota City, Japan.

Customer (John) 10/18/2006 05:30 AM After seeing the November Road & Track edition, I can only hope you will be selling the Supra as shown. It is infinitely better than what I have previously seen badged as a Lexus, and maintins the spirit of what I consider the 'true' Supra, the MKIII and IV. The MKIII represented the first split with the Celica and made the Supra a monster in it's own right.

I have been a 'loyal' Toyota customer since 1974, purchasing my first new Toyota, a Corolla 1200 when I was 17 and still in High School. I have had numerous Corollas, including a 1980 SR-5 Coupe, and a 1985 Corolla GTS (Hachiroku) that I still have. Along with those I have 'resued' a couple of Tercels (one an AWD Wagon) and a Celica from the Jaws of Death, and currently own the '85 Corolla, a 1988 Supra Non-Turbo Sport Roof that is a daily driver (when it's nice and sunny!) and just acquired an '05 Scion tC.

The new edition of the Supra will surely be joining my 'stable' if it is sold in this country!

Thanks!

Please note, my address is missing something, ya?

Reply to
Hachiroku