Rethreading? Part of engine block

OK here?s the deal, I work on vehicles but i have NEVER rethreaded something. My 1981 Toyota 2WD pick up deceided to have a bolt crack. The bolt is located on the thermostat housing. The bolt cracked down the shaft (threads) and was able to release part of the bolt but not the entire thing. I?m not sure how to go about this, and if there is anything that i can do besides (redrill a new hole and place in new thread ?) I recall somebody telling me that there are other options, but i can?t remember what in the world they told me. I could really use your guys help. And right now where i live a problem with the cooling system is not the best thing in the world. (Pheonix, AZ) Also a system that doesn?t require the assistance of a drill (which i have the feeling it?s the only chioce) would be great because i?m a student right now and i don?t have all the tools with me including my power tools. Thanks

Blue :?:

Reply to
bluegirl

Have you tried an 'Easyout?' If not that is what I would try.

mike hunt

bluegirl wrote:

Reply to
Mikehunt2

An easyout might work if you can get to the broken bolt with enough clearance to get a drill in there and drill into the center of the bolt. If I were you, I would probably take the car to a good mechanic who has the tools and experience to do the job right the first time, and it might not cost too much.

If you are in the greater Phoenix area a really good resource for auto repair can be found at

have a good reputation, been here in the valley for years, and have a weekend auto talk show on radio.Their website has lots of good info and a list of several very good repair shops in different parts of town.Best of luck,

Chuck in Phoenix

Reply to
Capt. Tundra

I second Chuck's suggestion. I have used easy outs on many occasions and only been successful on a few. I usually end up drilling the hole off center and screwing up the existing threads. Anyhow a professional can get that bolt out and put you back on the road. Good luck. jor (Tucson)

Reply to
jor

Using easy-outs requires drilling. You don't have a drill. It would probably require removing fan, radiator, etc. depending on the car, to get the room to drill out the center of the bolt.

Newer cars are also much harder to perform this particular task on. The very first time I did this was also with a thermostat housing bolt, but it was on a 1962 Ford Falcon. Those bolts were massive compared to the sizes used in many cars nowadays. It was actually a fairly easy procedure (on the Falcon).

Yes, there is a good chance you can ruin the threads, but the spring loaded thread kits also work well and are almost a given when you have to go this route.

This is a long way of saying, have a good mechanic do it for you. Probably $50.

Reply to
timbirr