Ride quality? Toyota Echo vs. Toyota Scion Xa

Consumer Reports said that the Toyota Echo had good ride quality but that the Scion Xa, based on the same chassis, rode rough. I test drove both on the freeway and found this to be true.

I don't need an absolutely smooth ride, but the Scion seemed like it would be awful on a long trip. Is Toyota going to change the ride quality, or can I improve it with different struts & shocks (if so, which?)?

The reason I don't want the Echo is because it's not available as a hatchback in the U.S.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

While at my Toyota dealer yesterday getting the Sienna oil changed I had a chance to take a peak at the Scion, the model that looks like a box. Anyway it looks very roomy inside and with the back seats folded down you can get a lot of stuff back there. The gas milage was up at around

30 mpg in city and 38 on trips. I had the same question in mind regarding the ride quality. I don't like a ride that gives me every crack in the road feedback. I can see where you have a short wheelbase and get a chop, but feeling every crack is something that could be smoothed out using isolation between the frameworks and the body.
Reply to
Dbu,''

I have the scion x/a and love it. I bought it for city driving, only and get about 33 mph. It is not a touring car. For that, I drive my MB....

Sherm

Reply to
Sherman Kaplan

I'll have to take one out for a spin someday, that is if they ever have any in stock. Seems like they go out as fast as come in. The ride to you seems comfortable? Do you feel the bumps and cracks in the road much. I'd be more inclined to buy the box over the sport version as I would like utility over sporty handling and performance.

Reply to
Dbu,''

I didn't notice any difference at all, but you didn't say whether you had an automatic or manual (My hubby doesn't drive stick, so we always get automatic)

Probably will change it, but again, I didn't notice any difference. BTW, I'm gonna go buy our Scion today! :-) It'll be primarily my husband's car, and he likes how it rides. But then for the last 10 years or so, he's driven the Corolla FX 16 (Which also has a decent ride, despite being 18 years old)

I thought the new ones had a hatch? At any rate, I don't like the new Echoes - they look just like several other cars on the road. I bought my Echo because it looked *different* The early Echoes had shit paint jobs, so I'm getting mine painted soon.

Natalie, who loves her pregnant roller skate

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

What's an MB?

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

An auto manufacturer which garnered far more respect before their disastrous, quality-degrading, merger with Chrysler.

------------------------------------------------ The DNC - Building a bridge to the 20th Century.

Reply to
Eric Dreher

Oh my - what do you suppose they were smoking?

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

That merger was always a mystery to me. Why Daimler would lower itself to be associated with Chrysler boggles the mind. Pearls before the swine.

Chrysler is the winner here as their post-merger quality has increased, while MB has gone down.

------------------------------------------------ The DNC - Building a bridge to the 20th Century.

Reply to
Eric Dreher

MB = Mercedes Benz

Reply to
Ray O

"Wickeddoll®" wrote in news:4280c8e1$0$9673$ snipped-for-privacy@news.free.fr:

Whatever it was, I don't want any. It obviously wasn't very good.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Recent revelations show that it wasn't likely a merger at all. It was an acquisition. They (Mercedes) are taking some heat about lack of honesty now, but not know whether they actually broke any laws.

MB, IMHO, tends to be overengineered and can be expensive to maintain.

Reply to
<HLS

I would agree with that. Much like in 1996, Pacific Bell's "merger" with SBC truly was an acquisition. Only the ego of PacBell's president at the time, Phil Quigley, prevented the admission of that fact.

------------------------------------------------ The DNC - Building a bridge to the 20th Century.

Reply to
Eric Dreher

Got it - thanks anyway, though

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Enjoy the new xA!

Reply to
Ray O

A car line with a 3-pointed star on the hood, owned by a parent company that gained notoriety for taking over and nearly ruining an American car company that had 5-pointed stars on the hoods.

Reply to
Steve

Thanks! I ordered it

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Thanks, but I think I would have caught on if the original person had written 'm-b'

But in the grand scheme of things, it's pretty trivial, I guess.

:-)

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Just like a woman. Always ordering something around.

------------------------------------------------ The DNC - Building a bridge to the 20th Century.

Reply to
Eric Dreher

Tell us how the ride is when you get it.

Reply to
Dbu,''