Right stuff to clean garage floor - heavy oil.

Just got done with cleaning two garage spaces (sold vehicles). The oil leaks from 25 years of parking was severe. Used TSP - poor result - failed even to cut the grease. A heavy duty degreaser and cleaner - not much better. Laundry detergent - no worse than above.

87 octane gasoline - absolutely the best - but also extremely risky. Used about 1-2 cups at a time (total used about 1 gal) with some water and heavy brushing. Did a bunch of rinsing to get rid of fumes. Gas did the best job.

Prior to this I did a google and found nothing. Is there an available cleaner that will dissolve dryed oil 1/8 in thick in places - other than gasoline and the associated extreme risk in an attached garage? Just in case I need it in another 25 years .

joe

A pressure washer -- you can get them from the rental counter -- at Home Depot works well. They have a couple of cleaners that you can put into the tank to help cut a variety of things that can stick to the floor.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Tide detergent, believe it or not. First use a ice chopper/scraper to cut the heavy stuff off, then wet the floor sprinkle, on the Tide, rub it with a floor broom and flush with water.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Muriatic acid will do it. Be careful. Ron

joe wrote:

Reply to
ronbon

Just urinate on it.

Reply to
A Troll

Using gasoline on your garage floor can get you into the running for a Darwin Award.

Having driven Toyotas/Lexus since 1978, I have not had to deal with stains from oil leaks so I don't have much advice to offer on getting rid of floor stains.

Reply to
Ray O

Its also not exactly what youd call environmentally friendly either LOL.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

As someone previously mentioned, use a scrapper to get up the worst of it, then get a bag of Kitty Litter, pour it on the floor, and work it around with your boots.

Reply to
user

Before or after the fire?

Reply to
Scott in Florida

that too!

Reply to
Ray O

That stuff will attack the concrete

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Not in my pool......

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Obviously, Ray hasn't driven too many Supras...

We have now begun overheating. This is not a good sign, esp since the previous owner spent $1000 on the cooling system...

There is one caveat: I removed the drip pan/cover from the bottom of the car in the early spring. Today I was looking at the radiator, etc, when I noticed most of the airflow for the radiator comes from openings in the air dam. From the looks of things, it looks like the drip cover also helps channel air to the radiator; without it the airflow probably goes under the engine, missing the radiator by quite a bit. I think I'll reinstall it tomorrow morning...

But, an overheating Supra is NOT a Good Thing...

Reply to
Hachiroku

LOL! I've only had to drive new ones.

No, check for a leaking HG and check the cooling fan clutch.

Reply to
Ray O

^^^^^^^^^^^

i was afraid you were going to say this...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Also, check to make sure coolant is circulating.

Reply to
Ray O

I suppose being down >2 QTS oil wasn't helping either, eh?

This car is one big leak. The oil leaks the worst. It was leaking tranny sauce 'till I tightened the pan last summer. The radiator doesn't leak, and the rear diff doesn't leak.

The fuel tank had holes in it, we replaced that but the filler neck leaks, and there isn't a single one available anywhere.

I did notice one thing: I was thinking about adding an electric fan to the outside of the radiator, on the AC Condenser side, but there IS about a 6" electric fan on the radiator side, up near the radiator cap. I am assuiming this gets energized when the AC is on and the radiator temp reaches a certain temp. I wonder if I can tap into this somehow and set it up to run when the AC is off...shouldn't be hard, if the thing is even working at all...

Reply to
Hachiroku

If the fan works, it should be easy to trigger by the coolant temp sensor instead of the AC circuit.

Unfortunately, the M series engines were pretty leaky ;-(

Reply to
Ray O

Muratic acid would not remove oil or clean anything oily. It works pretty good at etching concrete and removing rust stains.

But you could easily burn your lungs or damage the concrete. At best it will need a sealer after as well .

Reply to
Danny G.

I attach the garden hose to the water heater and blast it with hot water. Then laundry detergent and a push broom. Mounting a broom handle on a wire brush works well on tuff spots.

Reply to
Danny G.