rivets - factory installed speaker removal

Hi, I am wondering how difficult to remove factory installed speakers(front door) from my 2000 Corolla. In the instruction from crutchfield.com, I need to drill off the rivets. Here are my questions:

  1. Do I need a bit for drilling the metal or aluminum? do I drill through the center of the rivets?
  2. After removing the rivets, do screws coming with the new speakers will fit the original holes? I like to put back the factory speakers someday before I sell my Corolla, could I use the similar screws to screw the speakers back om? thx
Reply to
wenmang

You will need a drill bit that is designed for drilling metal. Unless the bit has an unusual point or is marked as a wood boring bit, it should be able to handle drilling out a rivet. Rivets are pretty soft metal and should not take long to drill out.

Use a bit with a diameter that is slightly larger than the hole that the rivet is instlled through. You are basically trying to remove the metal where the shoulder (mushroom cap) meets the shank of the rivet.

Whether the screws that come with the new speakers will fit in the original holes depends on the size of the screws. If the screw is not the right size, you can purchase sheet metal screws at any hardware store.

Reply to
Ray O