rough idle (toyota corolla 1995)

The idle sound is much loud than before in the morning worming time. Even during driving when I stopped in front of red light, the rough idle sound was pretty loud and I could feel the steering was vibrating a little due to the rough idle.

During driving, it was OK.

Please help.

Thanks

Reply to
johncar

Where are you located? How many miles/kilometers are on the odometer? What is the recent service and repair history? What is the idle RPM? Do you have an automatic or a manual transmission? If you have an automatic transmission, does the idle smooth out in neutral?

Check for cracks in the plastic intake tubing between the air filter and the throttle body. Check for engine vacuum leaks. Check the idle air control valve (if equipped with one).

Reply to
Ray O

Really appreciate your response.

Area: Chicago Recent temperature: 43 F (day time)

Car: Toyota Corolla 1995, Automatic Mileage: 162,000

Basically I didn?t give service in the past 4 years except oil(3000 miles once), tire, bettary and filter changes. All belts were changed when the car was 77,000 miles.

I don?t know how to check the idle RPM. The car has same idle sound when the car in neutral. (checked tonight)

I couldn?t find any cracks in the plastic intake tubing. (checked tonight)

Not sure how to find out the vacuum leaks.

Put hand on the engine especially on the area of timing belts can have rough feelings. (like sounds from airplane)

"johncar" wrote: > The idle sound is much loud than before in the morning worming > time. > Even during driving when I stopped in front of red light, the > rough idle sound was pretty loud and I could feel the steering > was vibrating a little due to the rough idle. > > During driving, it was OK. > > Please help. > > Thanks

Reply to
johncar

By any chance, are you near the northwest suburbs?

If it has been more than 60,000 miles since the spark plugs, distributor cap, and rotor were changed, then I would start by replacing those parts with Denso or NGK brand parts.

There were 2 engines available in 1995 Corollas - a 1.6 liter (4A-FE engine) and a 1.8 liter (7A-FE) engine. Make sure you know which engine you have before shopping for parts

If the timing belt has not been changed for 90,000 miles, I would consider getting it changed.

I would also think about getting the transmission fluid changed (do not get the transmission fluid flushed - fluid change only!) after you get the car running correctly.

If there is no tachometer in the instrument panel, then you would need to hook one up. It would be helpful to know engine RPM but not critical to diagnose the problem.

The best way to check for vacuum leaks is to connect a vacuum gauge. Otherwise, look for any loose or disconnected hoses.

This may be due to worn spark plugs.

Reply to
Ray O