RQV 4 noise on steering/pulling away

My 2002 3 Door Rav4 has a strange noise that sounds a bit like a bit of rubber flapping or rubbing on something more solid. It only happens when you pull away and turn the steering wheel. When you turn the wheel when moving a bit faster it doesn't happen. I also quite decide if it is coming from the front or the back (more favouring the back).The steering is still nice and tight. Can't see any gaiters gone. Have sprayed the rear suspension system with silicon lubricant in case it was a bush Can't see any stray bits of rubber flapping Don't think it is the CV joint Took it to the Toyota Dealer who had never heard it before and didn't think it was a problem.

I'm not convinced any stray noise coming from that area is "not a problem" and so am keen to see if anyone has heard this sort of noise before and has any suggestions on how to solve it.

Thanks Greg

Reply to
Greg

When you say "pull away" I am assuming that you mean that you are accelerating from a standstill.

If the sound is a rotational or harmonic type of sound, then the axle shafts and CV joints are possible sources of the sound. When you sprayed the suspension system, did you remove the sway bar bushing, lubricate, and then re-install?

Is your vehicle front wheel drive or all wheel drive?

Reply to
Ray O

Ray

You are correct when you say accelerating from standstill. I didn't take the whole rear suspension apart when I sprayed it - just sprayed it thouroughly. It is a 4 wheel drive

Thoughts appreciated, Greg

Reply to
Greg

The easiest way to determine whether the rear axles or CV joints are making noise it to temporarily disconnect the rear driveshaft. Make sure you make a match-mark on the companion flange before disconnecting the driveshaft so that you can replace it the same way.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O