Scion tC real-world mileage update

2006 Scion tC (2.4L 4-cyl Camry motor with automatic transmission and the standard 17" alloy wheels/tires)... After six months of ownership and 6,240 miles in a warm climate (central Florida), I am averaging 27.2 mpg. The A/C has been in use nearly 100% of the time since June. Mostly suburban driving with infrequent short highway trips (not including a 4-mile burst down 95 to work), nothing over 80 miles at a stretch to this point. I keep my tire pressure at 32 +/- 2 PSI, slightly more than the owners manual calls for.
Reply to
Mark

I think this is my next car. Only with the 5 speed...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Before you write the check, you might want to try the Mazda3 S again.

Reply to
FanJet

We had a couple of Mazda 3's at the Toyota Dealer I was working for. Yeah! But, I have heard more 'stories' about the Mazdas than I have the Scions.

But, they sure ARE a *BLAST!!!!*

I like the look, too. And, they seem to be screwed together decently, too.

It's either a Scion tC or a Subaru Impreza, I think. We don't have a Mazda dealer close enough...

Reply to
Hachiroku

That's a tough one. I've driven them both & neither one handles to my liking. Well, a WRX with 17" wheels was nice but the price was more than it's worth to me. The Subies aren't much in the MPG department either. Since you apparently don't need 4 doors, the '06 Civic SI is said to be a lot of fun. IMO, the new dash really sux though. I'm waiting for a look at this:

FanJet

Yeah, that was an option, too, and you can still get a 4 cyl Accord, too.

I'm at a quandry here...a Matrix or Subie wagon would be the best thing, since I have a couple bass amps and don't know when someone's going to call looking for a Bass player. So, a small wagon would be nice. I have a Grand Voyager that gets sufficient fuel economy, but it's getting haggard. Look good, trans is fine, needs a motor and brakes, and the windshield busted on me, too. There's a guy with a '94 that wants to sell his, I'll ask him if he'll take my LHS and some cash. His is REAL nice.

Or, I was drooling yesterday. Don't laugh...a later model Tercel AWD Wagon. MINT condition! The thing looked new! I bet she won't part with it.

But, I love sports coupes, so Solara, Civic and Scion are good choices. I like the Scion for the looks, it's a Toyota, and it's made in Japan. The Mazda is a cool little car, too; kind of funky looks (but if you remember, I LOVE those campy Japanese cars!), it's got a ton of OOOMPH!, I can JUST fit my amp in, and it too is made in Japan.

Subies offer AWD, but the WRX and the STi are TOO pricey. Granted, you're geting a LOT of car for the money, but I don't have it.

If I can get that van or the Tercel AWD, a coupe and keep my Supra running, I'd be a happy Camper!

Reply to
Hachiroku