SCRATCHES :(

I think I might have scratched my Corolla windshield while removing ice. What product would help to remove these type of scratches? They don't appear very deep, and I was using a plastic hand scraper at the time.

Reply to
I_Google_I

Buffing windshields is not really a typical do-it-yourself task. There are companies like Novus that repair windshields by filling defects with epoxy; try looking in your phone book or asking the dealer for a referral.

Reply to
Ray O

I am SOOOO glad I do not live where I have to worry about such things, or perform such tasks.

Having said that, I was not aware that plastic could scratch glass. That is, I thought companies that made scrapers would test them against glass so they would not sell stuff that made life go from bad to worse.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Rain-X will hid surface scratches. Deeper ones will have to be buffed out. Both Eastwood and JC Whitney has a kit with a buffer to be used with a drill and some polishing rouge. Just be careful not to let it build up heat on the windshield.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Maybe some grit was trapped between the scraper and the glass.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Be sure you like Rain-X, I understand it is quite difficult to remove and needs to be reapplied periodically.

size of your hand and you need to be even to avoid distortion. I suppose I didn't have the patience. Prior owner let the wiper blades wear down to metal which left two scratched arcs and a very fine network of tiny lines across the glass. After a couple of years of living with this and trying various glass waxes and polishes, driving into the setting sun one evening, I realized it was a safety hazard being it could obstruct my view of a pedestrian. Insurance company replaced the windshield at no cost under the comprehensive coverage. I ordered the original glass from the dealer and used their recomended shop to install. Apparently windshield replacement is a fairly common occurrence. The comment about grit under the scraper could be correct. Plastic should not scratch glass.

Reply to
nospampls2002

man, this is the ultimate of car neglect. How obvious can it be that a wiper is worn. I've had wipers that were worn out LONG before they were even close to touching the glass with the metal. My guess if the former owner of you car NEVER ever changed the oil either. Did you get the car for free? :-)

It sure is in Arizona. I've had several replaced. Lots of rocks flying around on roads. ahww.. man..

Reply to
RT