seat comfort

I have read posts about people complaining about the seats in Toyota vehicles. Many say the seats are uncomfortable and too hard. I have not been a big fan of the seats either but tonight I got a ride in a

2002 Honda Civic for 45 minutes in each direction and those were the most uncomfortable seats I've ever sat on. It wasn't so much the jiggly ride of the car that was causing the problem, it was how hard the cushion was and how the seatback was just too lumpy in all the wrong places.

I think I'm perfectly happy with the seats in my Toyotas now.

Reply to
badgolferman

Hmmm...

I've driven vehicles with "softer" seats, and I think they were actually the most uncomfortable seats I've ever had the displeasure of riding in.

I would prefer a harder seat that offers more support. I drive a Volvo with the most comfortable leather seats I've ever sat in (an old 760), and I tell you, the seats are HARD... But they are incredibly supportive.

Also, a soft seat could pose a problem in an accident. The seat is so compliant that it may slack the seat belts. I don't know if they actually sled test the seats for this (they do for seat back breakage), but a 2005 Dodge Minivan that I rented had foam seats that felt horrible... It was a brand new vehicle, think about how long those will last!!

Oh well, just my opinion. I plan on getting a Yaris RS, and the seats look quite supportive ;).. Here's to hoping!

Reply to
M.R.S.
2004 Toyota Sequoia and 2005 Accord V6, both with leather and sits comfortably. Toyota is softer to me, Accord feels harder but supportive. Different characters, same result to me.
Reply to
harry

I owned a Camry and the seats were not comfortable after 2 hours. The Sienna has more comfortable seats, good for 5 to 6 hours. The best factory seats I have experienced are the old model Volvo and Saab seats. I have driven over 8 hours in a 245 without any discomfort from the seat, the whining noises from the back seat was far more irritating :-)

Go the Recaro web site for information on seat design and materials. The problem with soft, thick foam is the person can "submarine" or slide under the seat belt when the foam compresses in an accident.

If you can, test drive the vehicle for more than 2 hours. Renting the same model for a vacation is a good way to really "test drive" a vehicle. You might find other issues besides the seats.

Reply to
ma_twain

I recently purchased a 2002 Camry XLE with leather. I agree that the seats seem hard and do not offer as much thigh support as the cloth seats in the Highlander that I traded. What I am wondering is if the seat from an ES300 will bolt into my car, that might be a solution.

Reply to
Roy Blankenship

The seat from an ES 300 would probably bolt in but the wiring for the power seats may be different if the Camry does not have the memory, seat heaters, side air bags, seat heaters, etc. that the ES has.

Reply to
Ray O