Seat hold down bolts on Yaris?

I have a new Yaris 3-door hatchback. Need to remove the back seat completely to make enough space for luggage and a wheelchair, but have encountered some kind of weird star-shaped bolt heads on the rear-attachment points for the seat frame. I have no wrenches that look even remotely like they would fit these bolt heads (the front two attachment bolts are standard hex heads, why the %$#@ are the two rear bolts different!?!). Anyone know what type of bolts these might be? What size? Is this some kind of proprietary Toyota fastener that I will have to buy a special wrench from a dealership to remove them?

Also, does anyone know if a standard tire will fit in the spare tire recess under the Yaris rear deck lid? (I hate space saver spares as you shouldn't use them on the drive axle, requiring one to change TWO tires if you get a flat on the drive axle).

Thanks

Reply to
Cat25_Quiet_Time

The star-shaped bolt heads are Torx drive. They come in sizes like T-10, T-25, T-30, etc. The drivers are available in screwdriver-style and in drives that fit on ratchets and are available at hardware stores, Sears, etc. The socket style is probably the kind you want to get a seat bolt out. I have not seen your bolt heads, you probably want a T-25 or T-30.

Reply to
Ray O

Well, to be fair to the car manufacturers (ewrch! what did I just say??!), the likes of Volvo (real, trad-style Volvo, not the Ford version) advised me with my 440 to use it only for 50 miles or so and to stay below 50mph. They're purely get-you-home devices. I was saved by one, once, when a tyre blew in the country, far from a garage. Was glad to have it once, never needed it again, so am not sure buying a full-price tyre+hub would've been warranted.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Does Toyota ever use the triple square (12 point internal) drive fasteners instead of Torx? Over the years I've had several cars that used these for some fasteners, while using Torx for others. See:

I know these are common on German cars, but maybe not on Japanese cars. Still it might be worth verifying that the fasteners are not triple squares.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ This is news to me. You can't use a donut spare on the drive axle? Not that I have a donut anymore, but when I did, I drove about 65 miles in an '86 Mercury Cougar (with a uhaul trailer following) on a rear (drive axle) wheel with a donut tire. ...and at about 40 mph. with no trouble. I don't like donuts myself, but I'd sooner have one than have NO spare.

Reply to
mack