Selecting Reverse 1995 Corolla

Does anyone have any suggestions to what may be causing a crunching noise when selection reverse (manual gearbox).

Reply to
Mr William Alston

"Mr William Alston" wrote in news:ogH4e.1422$ snipped-for-privacy@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

1) You're shifting into reverse too fast or too soon 2) Car is moving when you select reverse 3) Wrong oil in gearbox 4) Gearbox oil is very cold 5) Clutch misadjusted 6) Friction disc binding on splines

Keeping the pedal down, select 4th, then neutral again, then try reverse. Does it crunch now?

Reply to
TeGGer®

If you are selecting R from N, then the gears are still turning when you go into R. Try shifting into any other gear first, then select R without releasing the clutch.

This grinding is caused by too having thick of an oil in the transmission. The causes of thickness can be the oil itself, or a very cold climate.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Does the clutch 'start engaging' when still very near the floor?

Reply to
Gord Beaman

I've found its mainly when the gearbox has weight on it. When i let the handbreak out and roll forward a little it seems to slip in. (This is with the clutch in) I was just wondering is there anyway i can fix it so it goes straight in no mucking around.

Reply to
W Alston

Mr William Alston wrote the following on 4/5/2005 9:51 PM:

You have to push in the clutch before selecting reverse.

W Alston

Yeah thanks for the tip very helpfull.

Reply to
W Alston

I think you're stuck! Every single Toyota I have ever had has done this. I never tried to look for a fix because some of them have gone well over

200,000 miles.

Try rolling the car forward a bit before shifting into reverse. This has always worked for me. Try shifting into reverse gently and if it doesn't go right off the bat, go into 1st and roll about an inch and try again. Usually works for me.

Reply to
hachiroku

"W Alston" wrote in news:LCH4e.1434$ snipped-for-privacy@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

I already gave you one idea:

"Keeping the pedal down, select 4th, then neutral again, then try reverse. Does it crunch now?"

Reply to
TeGGer®

Ok, that's not a lot, I wonder if it's getting fully released?...you might try ramming it hard on the floor, wait for a few seconds, then see if it does it.

Reply to
Gord Beaman

I bled the clutch and adjusted the clutch lever itself and it seems to be working alot better.

Reply to
W Alston

Yes, looks like the clutch wasn't getting fully released doesn't it?...

Reply to
Gord Beaman