Sharpening knives noise in the cold

Strong sharpening knives noise about 3 minutes after I start my Toyota Corrola 1997. Noticed it lately when the weather is below 20 F. Colder it is the longer it lasts. I noticed that the timing belt moves slowly until the noise is gone. (I don't have an RPM meter). Also notce the same noise when I turn the car in the cold when performing slow sharp turn. Also noticed that if turn my radio lower or heater lower when the noise suddenly hits me on the road - the noise stops. Could it be the alternator? Is it a problem?

Reply to
Wobbie

Noises are difficult to diagnose without actually hearing them. The timing belt should not be visible without removing the timing belt cover, and it should move at engine RPM.

Check the power steering fluid level.

Check the condition of the accessory drive belts. If they are slipping or are cracked or shiny on the underside or have more than 60,000 miles on them, get them replaced.

If this does not make the noise go away, have it diagnosed by a competent technician.

Reply to
Ray O

The OP's question struck me as one just made for "Car Talk", when they ask the caller to replicate the noise. ;-)

Cathy

The timing

Reply to
Cathy F.