shift solenoid e circuit electrical (redux)

This is a follow up to the original conversation found here:

1997 Camry Le 2.2 the Check Engine light came on with the error code of "shift solenoid e circuit electrical". This code relates to the torque converter not locking up when getting above 45 MPH. That would result in 200-400 RPMS higher at that speed and above. However the car was shifting fine and no one could replicate the error. Diagnosis by the dealer determined bad wires in harness which they replaced but the code remained and they essentially gave up.

The local transmission shop said it's working fine and to bring it back when acting up. The light would come and go occasionally until last week when the last gear finally refused to engage at all. I brought it back today and the man says he took it for a ride and hooked up the analyzer at the same time. The computer is sending the message to shift but the transmission is not doing so. We decided to drain the system continuously and add fresh fluid until all old fluid is gone. He also dropped the pan to clean the screen.

The report is this: there are metal shavings on the bottom of the pan, similar to flakes. The solenoid has already been replaced by someone else -- the dealer. The voltage to open and close the solenoid is there. He thinks the valve is gummed up or something and says it's not worth the cost to drop the transmission and fix it. It's possible the torque converter is going bad. He suggests the new fluid and a valve lubricant and crossing my fingers. The transmission does shift smoothly into all other gears.

Reply to
badgolferman

Unfortunately, metal shavings usually mean that a major failure is imminent. The shavings may have clogged passages or valves in the valve body, causing the intermittent problem. In my experience, intermittent transmission problems tend to become more regular as time and mileage passes.

Reply to
Ray O

Now, did the dealer replace the solenoid E by dropping the pan??

The shift solenoid E should be on the outside of the transmission case, near the neutral safety switch by the radiator. If the dealer is changing a solenoid dropping the pan, then they probably were working on the wrong one. Well, they clearly misdiagnose the wiring as the cause. Dealers haven't been very good at specialized things like transmission, alignment, and A/C.

I'd recommend having a good transmission shop actually check/replace the *correct* shift solenoid E, and then see how things turn out.

Reply to
johngdole

The transmission shop also replaced the solenoid. They are the ones who told me somebody has already replaced it. He had an extra one from a previous kit he had ordered and put that one in. The torque converter is still not locking up...

I'll look tomorrow and see if I can find this solenoid since you say it's on the outside.

here:

badgolferman

Considering that your '97 already has 164,000 miles on it, resist the temptation to spend more on repairs than the car is worth.

A co-worker of mine has an Accord with nearly 300,000 miles on it, and it boggles my mind how much he spends on maintenance (at the dealer, no less).

Just my 2 cents' worth

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Ok, on the first page of the TranStar catalog URL, item #425 on the right side of the transmission case is the converter lockup solenod. If the dealer and shop are messing with the pan/valve body, then they are messing with shift solenoids 1-2. How wrong they are.

johngdole

Interesting! What do you suggest I do now?

Reply to
badgolferman

I have a manual that shows the location of the SL solenoid and how to remove it but I can't really tell if it is accessible from below the car by looking at the picture. Can a person who changes their own oil and brakes replace this item?

Reply to
badgolferman

Yes, it should be fairly straightforward.

Reply to
Ray O

I took the car back to the transmission shop today and talked to the guy about the SL solenoid housed atop the transmission. He said he's rather certain that solenoid is for cancelling lockup and is part of the circuitry related to the O/D OFF button on my shifter. He doesn't think it's part of this problem. We went through his parts manuals and there is no definitive description of that solenoid. He called his parts supplier and they don't have the part. He told me to get it from the dealer and he will install it and maybe learn something. The dealer says $110 and must be ordered.

Any thoughts on whether this SL solenoid is only for the shifter switch? The dealer's parts department couldn't answer the question.

Reply to
badgolferman

I'm pretty sure that the torque converter lockup solenoid handles locking and unlocking the solenoid. The repair manual has procedures for checking the part before changing it. Basically, remove the part and apply 12 volts to see if it clicks.

Reply to
Ray O

Which one of these? I don't think it's any of them. These are solenoids 1&2 inside the pan I think.

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # TCS15 More Info {TRANSMISSION CONTROL SOLENOID} Solenoid No. 2

ACDELCO Part # 2141758 More Info {#19138842} VALVE,2-3 SHFT SOL SOLENOID NUMBER 1

AIRTEX Part # 2N1086 More Info (Attached to Black Wire) (A140E & A141E Trans.)

Reply to
badgolferman

Sorry, I do not have any experience with aftermarket shift solenoids so I can't really tell from the descriptions you posted, and the part number format is different from Toyota's part number format, however, the descriptions don't seem to be describing the correct part.

First thing you should do is determine the exact transmission installed in your car. It should be noted either on the plate on the B-pillar or under the hood or on the transmission itself. Before you pay for the replacement part, try removing the old one, apply 12 volts to the electrical terminals, and see if it clicks.

Reply to
Ray O