Shifter stuck in park No brake lights 99 Corolla

The shifter in my daughters 99 corolla is stuck in park. Also no brake lights. Replaced all bulbs. I replaced the stop light switch on the brake pedal thinking that was the problem but still no brake lights. Has power to the switch. Fuse behind the dash kick panel is ok. Don't see any breaks/worn wires in trunk area. All bulb sockets seem to be fine. Pulled out the shift lock solenoid (yea what a fun job that is) in the center console. Don't know if it is good or bad. Local dealer wants 220 dollars for a new one. Anyone have any ideas? Is a real stumper for me.

A while back car was having a weird electrical problem that seemed to correct itself. The high beam indicator on the dash would flash on and off when driving. Could hear the headlight relay under the hood clicking when it would occur. And occationally the headlights/running lights would stay on after the car was turned off. These problems haven't happened for a while now but with my luck lately it's probably all related. Thanks for any sugestions.

Reply to
rogplayer

Look to the brake light circuit. Your symptoms are a classic description of a bad stop switch, which you said you already replaced. The car needs to see that your foot is on the brake to let you shift out of park, and if you have no brake lights, your car doesn't know your foot is on the brake. Verify the stop light switch you replaced is good and adjusted properly. I know you said you have power to the switch, but you should also verify that you have ground.

Reply to
qslim

Like QSlim said, it's the stoplight circuit - there's a lock solenoid actuated by the brakelight power so you have to have your foot on the brake to shift out of Park, and with the brakelight circuit out the solenoid is not actuating.

Read the Owner's Manual. There is a place to pop a trim cover on the center console and push in a pin to push the latch solenoid open and manually unlock the shifter. So you can CAREFULLY drive the car to the mechanic and avoid a tow bill.

Remember to open the window and hand-signal you are stopping - arm down. (That's why they still cover hand signals in Drivers' Ed. Some people actually manage to stay awake during that part...)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I will take a look at the brake light circuit a little closer. I was thinking that maybe the shift lock solenoid was not allowing the brake light circuit to complete, hence thats why I removed it. Thanks for your imput. I really do appreciate it..

Reply to
rogplayer

Just a follow up. Found the problem. Someone had spliced the wiring at the fuse block and did a poor job at it. Redid and now there is brake lights. Thanks agian for your responses.

Reply to
rogplayer