Shocking Camry

I have a friend with a 2005 Camry. Since the beginning the car gives a painful shock when getting out of the car after it has been running. He says the spark arcs enough that people can hear it when it discharges.

He can get in the car when not running and get out... touch the door and nothing. Run the car... get out... touch the door and get nailed.

Obviously it causes him some concern when fueling the car and passengers get a shock when they get out... (his boss spilled hot coffee on himself the last time he got out of the car)

Weather doesn't matter. As far as he can tell all the electrical circuits are working... lights, heater, radio, etc.

He's had it to three dealers with the last one telling him that's just the way Toyotas are. (I know that's wrong because we've had 5 and never even got a static shock)

So.... does anyone have a similar experience? Thoughts?

(I suggested getting a pair of the static strips that cars used years ago... he didn't see the humor in it)

Reply to
JSR

There *is no* humour in it ...go get some. Probably half the cars in my city have them ...it's the next logical and cheap attempt to fix it. All my vehicles shock me so it isn't just his Camry. Another thing to try, as silly as it sounds, is to stomp your feet on the ground while you are getting out before you touch the door to close it.

I'm sure a search on Google may yield other suggestions ...they may even have some kind of static strip for the door?

Cheers.

Reply to
griffin

Typical of dealers. When they don't know, they say something stupid. (1)

Cloth seats, right? It'd not abnormal but it is quite annoying.

ANd yet that's the best answer. The second best is a 50/50 mixture of downy fabric softner and water in a spray bottle. (Does better and lasts longer than the static spray's you pay much more for.

(1) Had a clunking sound in my Cressida after I first bought it. Dealer said it must be bad tires even though they were new. Ended up being a busing that holds the rear differential in place. Dealers are over-priced rip-offs.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

I was saying in another similar thread that my LHS with leather seats doen't shock me...until I started wearing my leather jacket!!!

Not so silly. It has to do with the displacement of electrons (as I remember...it was quite a while ago...) But the shock of stomping your feet helps discharge static electricity.

Reply to
hachiroku

some cars seem to do this because of the tyre type, rather like shuffling your feet on nylon carpet

Reply to
mrcheerful

Reply to
shields

Ditch the polyester clothing.

Reply to
Liberal|sarl|airs|

What seems like a semi-complicated solution (from a few of the posts here) is simple enough. If, BEFORE you slide your butt across your seat to exit (which builds the static charge), you merely grab any part of the metal door frame after you unlatch it, the "charge" (which has not built yet) will be grounded AS you slide out. Works like a charm!

He can get in the car when not running and get out... touch the door and nothing. Run the car... get out... touch the door and get nailed.

Obviously it causes him some concern when fueling the car and passengers get a shock when they get out... (his boss spilled hot coffee on himself the last time he got out of the car)

Weather doesn't matter. As far as he can tell all the electrical circuits are working... lights, heater, radio, etc.

He's had it to three dealers with the last one telling him that's just the way Toyotas are. (I know that's wrong because we've had 5 and never even got a static shock)

So.... does anyone have a similar experience? Thoughts?

(I suggested getting a pair of the static strips that cars used years ago... he didn't see the humor in it)

Reply to
P2P Xtasy

You guys keep giving him this advice on how to stop the charge, F that! I say we get even instead. That's right, every time we get out of our cars and they start shocking us, lets shock the shit out of them back! Fight the power is what I say! These ECUs these days are pretty smart and I have a sinking feeling they are up to something and are just in the 'toying with our brain' mode.

:-)

Reply to
Josh

I'm still for wrapping our heads in tin foil

Reply to
Gordo

Liar.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Or that. :)

Reply to
Josh

Too late...the DEMONrates and their DNC are already doing that, along with DEMONrat judges.

Reply to
Liberal|sarl|airs|

It could be the tires. If they lack enough carbon black they cannot bleed off the electrons built up on the vehicle, so why one steps out the electrons exit through one's body.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

As John Travolta said in the movie 'Grease'... "It's electronfying"!

Reply to
P2P Xtasy

If he drove it naked, he wouldn't get shocked as much.

The problem is called Static Electricity. It builds up when the material in his clothes rubs against the material in his seats and generates a charge.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland