Should I change the wipers or clean the windshield better?

I have a year 2000 Camry. The wipers have never been changed yet.

While things look all fine in sunny days, in a rainy day, things looks smeared and fuzzy through the windshield glass. As if the glass has been slightly oil-treated. At the same time, I can see the same objects clearly through the side windows.

At nighttime, this becomes more of a problem. Here is a picture I took at an intersection. My hand might be a bit shaky as the engine is running, but you'll see what I see.

's hard for me to show it to my Toyota dealer. They needan appointment, but I need to show them at the moment ofraining.

Reply to
Norton

Norton wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The rubber refills are all of ten bucks to replace with OEM from the dealer (the best kind to get).

Yours are way past their prime and the sharp edges they once had are rounded now. Go have a look closely and you'll see.

Replace them, clean the windshield with Windex, and enjoy clear glass on rainy days.

Reply to
TeGGer®

Change the wiper refills.

They usually last about 2 years, however it depends somewhat on how much time your car spends in direct sunlight (and how bright the sun is where you live). Sun is the killer of rubber.

If you shop around (check dealer web sites) you may find the refills on sale. I just bought a pair for $6.00.

One thing you will need to know is whether your car is Japanese assembled or US assembled, because it will take different size refills. The left and right are different sizes.

When you remove your old ones, you will need to save the metal splines embedded in the rubber and reuse them on the new refills.

Reply to
Mark A

Or, if you don't want to go to the dealer, any auto parts store will have replacement blades (the rubber part) for your Camry. You can look up the proper blades in the book that accompanies the wiper display rack or just measure the length of the ones you have on the car. As someone else said, the right and left are different lengths. When you remove the old ones pay close attention as replacing those little rascals sometimes is harder than it should be. Good luck. jor

Reply to
jor

The windshield HAS been oil treated. The oil comes from the shit on the road that becomes airborne in the mist that you are driving in.

Get yourself new blades and try using RainX.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Wiper blades should be changed every six months, as part of a good preventive maintenance program.

NEVER use Rain X on a windshield. It is a polymer that will build up on the class and get streaked by the wipers. Save it for the side class, WBMA

mike hunt

Reply to
MikeHunt2

Wipers are cheap. Change them. There's no reason to buy wiper refils from a dealer, any auto parts store will have snap-in replacements.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I just had mine changed. They used to recommend 6 months/6000 miles. Supposedly they recommend 12/12,000 now. I had only 8 months on my wipers and they were getting bad, so I checked the records, and I'd put something like 30,000 on it since I'd changed them, so I thought it was prudent to change them before the start of the rainy season here.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
Charles Fregeau

Do you folks also ask other people how often to use the toilet?

Reply to
Mark A

Reply to
Charles Fregeau