Sienna doors freezing shut...?

Howdy,

We've had some freezing rain...

With that the sliding doors on my '04 Sienna froze shut.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this incredibly annoying problem?

Sincere thanks,

Reply to
Kenneth

Silicone spray applied to the weather stripping on the door and on the body will protect against moisture freezing the door shut from the inside. As far as rain freezing over the outside of the door, you could try praying or parking it in a garage. ;]

Reply to
qslim

Pour warm water over the door.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

I know this problem from our Sienna. We used the Silicone spray and the problem went away. In order to not get the spray everywhere, I sprayed it on a rag and then wiped the rubber. Also - if you use contact lenses, do not get it on your fingers and then in your eyes - that would be a bad thing. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Move to Florida....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

That sounds like the voice of experience....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Ever handle red pepper & then - even hours later & after washing your hands - handle your contacts & put them in your eyes? Yow!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Another voice of experience!

Damn that hurts just thinking about it...

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Silicone spray?

I told a guy this was happening to to use white lithium grease.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yeah, that'll probably work too. Whatever makes the rubber repel water.

Reply to
qslim

Lithium grease will get all over people's clothes, hold dirt, and attack the rubber. Silicone is kinder to rubber.

Reply to
Ray O

But...Pat Goss said so!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Pat who?

Reply to
Ray O

because of global warming we no longer have freezing rain here.

Reply to
dbu.,

Should you use a petro product on rubber door seals?

Reply to
dbu.,

Hachiroku

Well, I know who not to go to for advice now!

Reply to
Ray O

Ahhh...this brings back memories. Back in the winter of 1978 I had a job in Michigan. At that time I owned a Datsun 280Z. My second week there I decided to wash the salt off the car. I was delighted to see that the car wash used really warm water. I washed the car and drove home. Next morning the doors were frozen shut. I was lucky, the rear hatch would open. I crawled in and warmed the car up and got the doors open. The guys at work laughed their a**es off at me. They said it was very important to dry the door seals after you washed the car. After that I always dried the door seals after washing the car. I also lubed the seals with clear silicone grease (not too thick - just enought o make them shiny). I never had a problem again that winter. When spring came, I left Michigan and never returned (and don't plan to).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Um, that was also about 17 years ago, so things may have changed a little since then... :)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Before silicone spray became widely available, I used to recommend vaseline, which in retrospect was bad stuff.

Reply to
Ray O