Sienna Oil Slug Problems

I have a 1998 Sienna, purchased new, with almost 30,000 miles. We only use the Sienna for road trips. I've changed the oil every 2,000 to 3,000 miles. Once went to 4,000 miles because we were on a road trip. I keep hearing the horror stories about these 3.0 liter engines having a real oil slug problem. Since issues like these tend to be blown out of proportion I wonder how serious the issues really are?

Other than body integrity ( read rattles) the vehicle has been a dream... we joke that it's like riding in a jet aircraft on our road trips, and that we are just missing the pilot!

Thanks

Reply to
Jim Simonin

Stop reading those stories. Keep changing your oil as you have and enjoy your vehicle.

So much B.S. out in the cyber world it makes one flip out.

Reply to
dbu

PC snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I understand that salt helps with the slug problem.

Reply to
TeGGer®

I can't count how many Siennas, Highlanders, Avalons, and Camrys (but mostly Siennas) I have de-sludged at work, but I can tell the number of sludged engines I have cleaned that have had a reasonable maintenance history; zero. Not one has had a history of consistent oil changes near 5k intervals. So, keep up what you've been doing and you won't have a problem.

Whatever happened to that crazy lady screaming about a Toyota coverup? Haven't seen her on this board in a while. What was her name, Charlene? Diane? Nuttybitch?

Reply to
qslim

How is this done?

Reply to
badgolferman

"qslim" <Suckers@suckersdotcom> wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Charlene Blake. She's probably screaming at somebody else now.

I'll bet she's declared victory since Toyota instituted that sludge-fix policy.

Reply to
TeGGer®

It starts with a compression test to determine if the rings are worth anything. If they are, then replacing the valve stem seals and soaking the heads overnight in carb cleaner does the job. But I find replacing the rings is necessary about 70% of the time. The real problem occurs when enough sludge builds up to block off the oil strainer in the pan (which is what happened to this Highlander I'm working on now). Then you could be looking at ruined bearings, camshafts, crankshafts, and cylinder blocks. I'll take some digital pictures of the next sludge mess I do, but I'll need to send them to someone here to post for me. Don't know how.

Reply to
qslim

I don't know what happened to her. I know that after all the commotion Toyota extended their engine warranty. I received a notice in the mail several years ago.... believe it was extended to 8 years. Wonder why you have de-sludge more Sienna's... soccer moms running around town with lots of stop and go driving... and never changing the oil?

Reply to
Jim Simonin

Everybody:

BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! ;)

Reply to
hachiroku

I was getting ready to switch to Mobil 1 to get better protection against sludge until Toyota took a firm stand in stating "once you switch to synthetic oil, you should not go back to conventional oil". When I pressed them to answer why they say that, they said the information is not for public disclosure. I sure would like to know what potential problem using synthetic oil can cause.

Reply to
cranheim

Cranheim, where did you hear that? Was it in literature from Toyota, or a dude at the dealer?

Reply to
qslim

Yeah, the vehicles that have neglected engines usually are in a general sort of disrepair. I figure that the majority are Siennas for the same reason you do; carting around screaming kids to the store and soccer practice with no time for a pitstop.

Reply to
qslim

The point is that a majority of vehicles can ignore very frequent oil changes and not suffer from oil gel formation. On several Toyota motor designs for a few years gel formation is a problem related to delayed oil changes. The use of synthetic Mobil oil or more frequent oil changes eliminates that problem on those vehicles. Toyota has addressed this through some design changes in newer models and delayed oil changes no longer cause gel formation.

Richard. Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Qslim: This was Toyota's statement:

"As previously advised, the following is our position on this matter per the Frequently Asked Questions portion of our website.

If you decide to use synthetic oil for the engine, it is best not to switch until the first scheduled oil change. Synthetic oil should meet or exceed the specifications provided in your Owner's Manual. Even if synthetic oil is used, we do not recommend a longer oil change interval. Also, once synthetic oil is used, you should keep using it and not switch back and forth with natural petroleum-based oil."

After I questioned the statement about not switching back to conventional oils, this was their answer:

"The answer previously provided clearly states our position on this matter, and the internal research and/or data connected with this recommendation is not publicly available.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #200402250589. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us".

Reply to
cranheim

Really? The majority of vehicles can ignore very frequent oil changes and not suffer from oil gell formation? If you are comparing the old slant six or the 351 Windsor engine, I would say yes. The Toyota V6 does need more maintenance, but look what you get. The V6s of today produce more power and get better gas mileage than the 8 cylinders of the past. If you want to go back to the past, you could get four cylinder NA engines and the same engine with a turbo on it. The power was greater from the turbo engine, but it required more maintenance and had a short life expectancy. You want to compare the Toyota V6 to the BMW engines, oh you can't the BMWs are an inline design and BMW specifies synthetic oil. You can't compare the Toyota four cylinder engine to the V6 - the four cylinder is an inline design.

By the way, Saab is having sludge issues with some of its V6 engines and the Volvo V6 engine quickly earned a reputation for clogging the oil ports. These issues were not addressed by a design change. As a result, Saabs and Volvos with V6 engines are not in demand. Do you still want to stick to your statement that the "majority of vehicles can ignore very frequent oil changes and not suffer from oil gell formation"? Should we change the statement to say "inline design engines and the lower powered V designs can ignore very frequent oil changes and not suffer from oil gell formation"?

There were other posts about the Toyota V6 engine design and why it needed more maintenance. Engine cooling ws an issue and the the front part of the head was being cooled more than the back part of the head. On short trips, the front part did not attain the proper temperature, due to the cooling. The Volvo engine had oil ports that were too small for daily driving. With synthetic oil, it was fine, but stop and go driving with regular oil was death to this engine.

Reply to
ma_twain

That's interesting. I'm familiar with the 5k - 7.5k first oil change mandate. Toyota prefers that it's rings are broken in with mineral oil. The same also applies to any engine rebuilds where rings are replaced; mineral oil for the first 5k or so miles after the rebuild, then you can switch back to synthetic. As for the possible harm that may occur from switching back and forth between synthetic and mineral, I have never gotten a clear answer on that. Maybe someone out there can enlighten.

Reply to
suckers

While I would like to switch to synthetic oil, I don't want to paint myself into a corner where I might get into trouble if I go back to conventional oil. I pushed hard to get the answer from Toyota, but, as you can see, they have no intentions of giving a reason for their decision. If something did surface as to why you should not go back to conventional oil, it might be a problem if you decide to sell it. A potential buyer may hesitate to by it if he has to stick with the more expensive synthetic oils. Charles Ranheim

Reply to
cranheim

Gee, if people who don't use their turn signals would disable them, you would never know the difference driving down the road.

Reply to
richard48

Big difference, turn signals are requires by the NHTSA, DRLs are not. Every state requires drivers to use turn signals as well, even though few too many do. There is not similar law to use DRLs, even if equipped.

mike hunt

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2