six-cylinder oil capacity

My 2000 Sienna has the six-cylinder engine and I change oil myself. The manual says with a filter change it takes 5 quarts. The last couple of times I've changed the oil it's taken 5.5 quarts. I've only had the van a year so I don't have much of a reference to gauge it against. What is your experience with the six-cylinder Toyota engine?

Reply to
badgolferman

I always put 5qts in the 1MZFE.

Reply to
qslim

I put 5 quarts into my '98 Sienna and the oil level reads full (with both Toyota and Purolator oil filters). Sure you have the proper oil filter?

Reply to
ACAR

I have the filter Toyota sells.

Reply to
badgolferman

I've never replaced the oil in my cars myself, but after reading this newsgroup, I'm considering learning how in order to avoid any potential mistakes by the service shop.

You know what they say, I guess, "If you want a job d "Avoid overfilling, or the engine could be damaged."

"The approximate quantity of oil needed to raise the level between low and full on the dipstick is indicated" as follows:

2.4 liter 4-cylinder (2AZ-FE) engine -> 1.1 quarts.

3.0 liter V6 (1MZ-FE) AND 3.3 liter V6 (3MZ-FE) engines -> 1.6 quarts.

The manual also mentions that the oil capacity of the

2AZ-FE is 4.0 quarts _with filter_ and 3.8 quarts _without filter_.

The capacity of both the 1MZ-FE and the 3MZ-FE engines is 5.0 quarts _with filter_ and 4.8 quarts _without filter_.

My "Auto Upkeep" book also says don't overfill.

Hope that helps a bit.

Reply to
Built_Well

OK, how long do you wait for the oil to drain back into the pan after starting the engine? Next time try this, do the oil change and start the car to check for leaks. Shut down and let it sit for an hour (or overnight) and then measure the level on the dip stick.

If the oil level shows a half quart low after allowing plenty of time for the oil to drain into the pan, I'd put in the "extra" half quart.

Reply to
ACAR

Here's a tech tip about overfilling oil from "Auto Upkeep."

The book thus sprach:

"If one is good, then two is better, right? Not always. Engine oil contains detergents to help clean particles and other materials in the engine, similar to soap in a washing machine. If you overfill your engine oil, you will get air bubbles. Air does not have much of a lubricating ability. And adding too much oil can increase oil pressure causing failure to various seals and gaskets."

Oh, oh, I would not overfill. Stick with the manual, and you should be fine.

Reply to
Built_Well

I've changed oil in my cars for the past 25 years so I've had a bit of experience in doing this. I checked the level after a couple of hours and saw it was half a quart low. I was surprised since I used one of those 5 quart oil containers. So I left it overnight and checked again and it was still low. That's when I put in another half quart. The used oil fit in the empty 5 quart container so I am still wondering. I checked the oil this morning and it was still where I expected it---at the full level.

Reply to
badgolferman

Hmm, could the dipstick be miscalibrated? Maybe it's another case of bad metering like Toyota's fuel guages (I don't trust the Camry's fuel guage either).

That would be one way to explain why the 5.0 quarts mentioned in the manual still leaves badgolferman's Sienna a half-quart low, according to the stick.

Reply to
Built_Well

An additional 1/2 quart of oil is not enough to cause "air bubbles" (normally referred to as "foaming")

Your "Auto Upkeep" book is incorrect in that adding too much oil cannot increase oil pressure. Oil pressure is a function of the oil's properties, the oil pump, engine RPM, and bearing clearance.

The OP should fill the oil so that the dipstick indicated "full" after the engine has been sitting for a while, even if it is a half quart more than indicated in the owner's manual. As I mentioned above, 1/2 quart too much will not cause any problems, and then the OP has a mark on the dip stick as a reference when checking oil for oil consumption.

Also, the OP is inserting the dip stick all the way down into the tube, right?

Reply to
Ray O

Possible that you were shorted. In any event, after 25 years, you know to fill it to the "full" mark. Next oil change try single quart containers and see if you get a different result.

Reply to
dimndsonmywndshld