Size

Hi, Does any one know the size of the two holes on the crank pulley of a

2000 Sienna? I'm trying to get two bolts to install in the holes so I can hold the pulley while removing the crank bolt and pull off the pulley.

Thanks for any info!

Reply to
ZR

"ZR" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:jP2Kg.13274$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...

Dear ZR,

normaly you can use two screws with 8 mm winding.

It is better to use a compressed ais power screwdriver (don't know if it is called so in english) to unscrew the crank bolt, and then pull of with a puller. I think the crank bolt will be to thight, and the screws or what you want to use will bend.

EB

Reply to
Elias

Thanks, Elias. Last time when I worked on my 1990 Camry, I was able to loose and tight the crank bolt on my 1990 Camry by wedging a pry bar between an Allen wrench inserted in one hole and the socket itself. I think I should be able to do the same using two bolts on the two holes, and a special pulley holding tool from NAPA because they have the same torque. I considered air impact wrench (I think that's what they call it here). But it's just too much trouble because it needs a big air compressor.

Reply to
ZR

You can also try an electric impact wrench. They generally do not produce as much torque as an air impact, but the hammering action may loosen the bolt.

The holes on the pulley will take either a 10, 12, or 14 mm bolt (probably

12).
Reply to
Ray O

Well, it turns out even 8 mm is too big. So it's probably 7, or may be even inches between 7 and 8 mm

Reply to
ZR

"ZR" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:dHhKg.5212$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net...

well if it isn't 8 mm then two holes will have 6 mm - at least here in Germany.

Reply to
Elias

I never hold anything. I just use a good socket, short extension (if needed) and a stiff breaker bar. Get it on good and straight, put pressure on the breaker bar and hit it with a rubber hammer. I've removed some very stubborn bolts and nuts this way.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Thanks everyone for your helps. It turns out the size is 7 mm. But it didn't work. The problem is that the center of the crank pulley (including the two holes and the crank bolt) on 2000 Sienna caves in pretty "deep" (compare to

1990 Camry), and the two bolts I installed didn't have much leverage and the bolts bended.

So I bought a 450 pound electric impact wrench at Home Depot and it took out the bolt like a breath.

After taking off the belt cover, the timing belt looks like new (not much different from the new one I bought). So I decided to keep it and wait till

120,000 mile (I got about 80,000 miles now), talking about Toyota quality or maybe the old Toyota quality, :)).

I decided to replace the timing belt because I heard some noise (like distant helicopter blades) in the timing belt area, and the mileage. When I was removing the belt cover, I noticed one of the belt cover bolts was loose. After reinstall the cover and tightened all the bolts, the noise is gone.

So the price for a loose bolt is one day of work and couple of hundred dollar of tools and parts, -:(. On the bright side, I still got that cool impact wrench, -:). Besides, the bolt that was loose is the one behind the pulley. So I had to take the pulley off to find out and it's not a total loss.

Thanks!

Reply to
ZR

======================= You cannot always determine the condition of the belt just by looking. Unlike accessory drive belts which use fabric reinforcement, the timing belt uses fiberglass reinforcement to minimize stretching, and the continual flexing during use weakens the reinforcement.

Reply to
nospampls2002