Slid into a Curb and Bent a Rim..

So it snowed for the first time last week and it's my first winter.

I was going about 20km/h in my neighborhood, took a left turn and my brakes locked when I was turning. I hit the curb with the front passenger tire sideways. There is now a huge dent in my rim.

What do I do? I have a spare tire with a rim in my trunk. But I'm worried that I may have damaged something else. My hood won't close anymore which I think could be a side effect.. But that sounds stupid.

It is drivable but pulls to the right, and the tire hasn't gone flat(it's been 3 days of VERY mild driving).

I do have money to get it repaired/inspected but I would rather not spend all my money if I don't need to.

I drive a 1995 Toyota Corolla.

Insults/input appreciated. Thanks!

CommunityWeb and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.autos.toyota - 160312 messages and counting!##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
ejams

Driving on a badly bent rim may blow out your tire unexpectedly and cause an accident, or if left unserviced, could lead to more expensive mechanical repairs beyond a simple wheel alignment. Your brakes, axle and ball joints risk damage if your wheel wobble is too bad. Check around for an inexpensive used rim from an auto wrecker if the wheel needs replacement. Good luck!

Reply to
GM homepc

The speed you describe does not sound as if the damage should be significant, but the angle can change everything. You are going to need at the very least a new rim. Whether you need other repairs or not is difficult to tell from here. If you can't ascertain this on your own, then you will need to pay for an inspection.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

responding to

ejams wrote: What should i do to keep the hood closed while i drive to a garage?

Thank you guys for the input on my situation.

CommunityWeb and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.autos.toyota - 160323 messages and counting!##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
ejams

Keep the hood closed because you hit a curb doing 20kph!

Have you considered calling the Auto Club to come get the car and tow it someplace? If the hood is damaged, odds are good that the car shouldn't be driven.

You could always use a bungee cord.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Sounds to me like you need to take your car to a competent repair shop and have it inspected for damage and if no damage replace the rim and have the wheels aligned. If the hood closed before but doesn't now it doesn't sound good.

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe