Slightly off-topic--How to change an oil pressure sending unit?

Mechanic told me the oil pressure sending unit (this is the same as the oil pressure sensor, right?) was leaking. I checked and yeah, it is wet with oil but I did not see any drips on the garage floor. Nevertheless this seems like something I could do myself but I'm having trouble finding anything on it in my Haynes manual.

How do I find answers to my questions about replacing this unit, mainly, what torque setting do I use and is there anything unusual I need to know about changing it? I already figured out I'd need to drain the oil first and refill it after.

Reply to
Ernie Sty

You don't say what vehicle, but generally, no need to drain the oil.

Just get a new sender, unscrew the old with a pair of pliers, wrap a couple of loops of teflon tape around the threads of the new sender, and screw it in as tight as you can by hand (no tools). Start the engine and check for leaks - if so, turn it in a quarter turn at a time until it stops.

Reply to
Mike Harris

Thanks! I forgot to mention it's a 1994 Geo Metro with the 3-cyl engine. That's why it's an OT post. I believe you when you say I don't have to drain the oil, but am curious as to how it can leak oil if it's above the oil level? It's located on the back side, and there's no way the engine could ever generate enough acceleration to slosh the oil back... I suppose it could happen then I apply the brakes while backing down the driveway...

Reply to
Ernie Sty

What kind of car is it? I have to replace the one in my Supra, the TSRM shows it at the front of the motor, but I'll be dammed if'n I can find it!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hmmmm. Ever think what an "oil pressure sensor" is actually sensing? Do you suppose that there might be some sort of pump that puts that oil under pressure?

Reply to
Mike Harris

The oil pressure sender, as the name implies, senses oil pressure. When the engine is running, oil is pumped under pressure throughout the engine. In other words, it is leaking because of the pressure behind it, not because of the oil level.

Reply to
Ray O

Yeah, thanks, I am aware that it is under pressure. However if the level of the fluid level is below the hole, how does it get to the hole? Does the pressure cause the oil to flow up the side of the crankcase to the pressure sensor? Does the level rise when it is under pressure?

Reply to
Ernie Sty

So, when the engine is off and there's no pressure, I remove the sensor, and no oil comes out the hole it was in, OK, that I've got.

But why, when I remove the sensor, doesn't the oil drain out of the hole it was in by gravity the same way it would out of any other hole in the crankcase? Is the sensor in some sort of oil passageway through which pressurized oil flows in order to get to where it's being pumped, and when the pump shuts off, the oil drains from that passageway back into the crankcase, leaving the sensor above the oil level?

Reply to
Ernie Sty

Geo Metro with the 3-cyl. They may be sluggish but they sure are easy to work on. When I look at the engine, sometimes I think that if I was ever going to rebuild it, I'd just carry the engine into the house, wash it in the sink, and work on it on the kitchen table. ;-)

Reply to
Ernie Sty

You have correctly answered your own question!

Reply to
Ray O

You could pretty much do that! I beleive the engine weighs about 90 pounds.

Reply to
Moonbat

Or make it 'Newfie tight'...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

I have amazed myself! ;-)

Thanks. :-)

Reply to
Ernie Sty

Don't break the heavy-duty torque wrench on it then?

Reply to
Ernie Sty

Amazing yourself is the best way to be amazed! You never have to worry about what others are thinking.

Reply to
Ray O