Slightly OT--steering wheel squeaking in Geo Metro

There's no Geo or Suzuki auto group that I can find, so I'm hoping someone here can help.

In our Geo Metro, there's a squeaking sound then turning the steering wheel. It sounds like it's coming from right behind the steering wheel. I am thinking about spraying some lube in there.

But could it be an indication of a more serious problem with the steering?

Reply to
Ernie Sty

It's not serious, it's very common with Japanese cars in paritcular, and it will probably go away when the weather turns warmer.

There is a fix, but I can't remember what it is. Perhaps someone else can help. Or try Google Groups; their retention goes way back, and it was posted here last year, IIRC.

But rest assured, the wheel is not going to fall off in your hands any time soon!

Reply to
Hachiroku

On some cars, people spray the rubber boot surrounding the steering column where it enter the passenger compartment with silicone spray. On some Toyota's they have a metal to metal joint under the hood at the end of the steering column that needs to be greased once in a while. It has no other source of lubrication. Drives a lot of people nuts. Dealer couldn't figure it out. I foun it on my 1983 Tercels.

Reply to
Art

Thanks!

Reply to
Ernie Sty

You should have posted this at GM's site.

Reply to
Spam Hater

'74 Corolla (under 60,000) '78 Corolla (under 50,000) '80 Corolla (from ~40K-224K) '87 Corolla '83 Tercel (~200K) Seems to have managed to skip my 'hachiroku', however!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Good point, I didn't think of that. I was looking for Geo or Suzuki groups.

Reply to
Ernie Sty