Sludge revisited

I've challenged ANYONE to provide proof that the Toyota sludge problem was anything but owner neglect. NO ONE has EVER provided proof that a properly maintained Toyota has developed sludge....

Just to refresh my memory I corresponded with someone I trust completely in this manner. He asked that I not identify him and I won't.

I clipped some B/S that 'Mike Hunt' posted and asked my friend to comment on 'mikes' statements.

Below is the email I received ....

OK Scott, here goes.

Mike Hunt's comment

> The proof is self evident. Toyota issued numerous TSBs, change the head on > all effected engines, built as of August of 2003. Switched to a synthetic

My friends answer

No TSB's regarding any head change. I have not been advise of any changes. But I do know the valve cover is different, as the PCV valve screws in instead of popping into a rubber grommet. In August of 03, there was 2 engine available, ie the 3.3 or 5MZFE, and the 3.0 or the

1MZFE.

No switch to synthetics until 2007 model years, then they went and changed the viscosity also, ie now its 0W20 and its ONLY synthetics, but this just happened with the introduction of the 07 models. All oil change intervals have been set at 5000 miles, regardless of type of service

(Mike Hunt's comment)

oil recommendation. Extended the warranty to eight years unlimited > mileage, > on engines with the problematic head What more proof does anyone, but a > true diehard apologist, need? Toyota is no better than any other > manufacture, they too make some that are not up to snuff on occasion. Even > sometimes a lot of them, that are not up to snuff. The most recent large > recall proves it. ;)

My friend's response

Never any recall on the 1MZFE Camry, they did extend the warranty to 8 yrs or 100,000 miles. That's it. Many of those are expired now. They did this from 97-01 models. There was never a problem with the head. I think they increased ventilation. But to date, I have yet, to ever see one that had 5K intervals. All sludged engines had a big void int he intervals. We really don't see any of these anymore. We did a few at first, then it was slow and spotty. Now hardly anything comes through.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

That is the point in a nutshell.

A lot of people blamed Toyota for their own failure to change their oil.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

It's a no brainer, change oil at 3K miles and you won't have any problems. Let it go and eventually it will catch up to you. That reminds me My Sienna is due, I'll call for an appointment next week. I like getting there at opening, they have fresh coffee from Dunn brothers and danish rolls. Oil changes are $23.95 and cheaper than the rapid guys. BTW, the rapid guys left my oil cap off of my Camry once and I got half way to work and smelled burned oil so I did a check and what a mess. I don't go the that place anymore.

Reply to
dbu.

My wife's friend is so excited that she just got an oil change in her Civic with synthetic oil that is going to last her 20,000 miles.

Reply to
badgolferman

Gawd, she gives other women drivers a bad name

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

Absolutely. Zum beispiel.. I have a BIL who never changed the oil in his Dodge van. He only added. He got T-boned at 60K and replaced it with a Ford. Never changed the oil in it either, only added. It went about 50K and seized up. According to him it was Ford's fault because truck engines don't need to have the oil changed, only added to as needed. Moral... As fast as you make something idiot proof, somebody builds a better idiot.

Toyota has created its own trap. Because they are so reliable, the misinformed, uninformed, ignorant, and God's truly stupid have come to believe that no maintenance at all is required. God truly loves the stupid for He made so many of them.

Reply to
NickySantoro

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Trouble is, Natalie, that there are many women like you, and many others who think that 'automobile maintenance' means putting gas in the tank (about the time the needle bounces off the "E") and maybe wiping off the vanity mirror. Tires? "Well, they look round enough to me." Coolant? "It hasn't overheated ....yet." Oil? "My oil pressure light has never gone on, so I've got plenty of oil." and so on. Not that I'm slamming women motorists, since men do many of the same things and more. And I don't think many women intentionally flog their cars. Men sometimes take great delight in making the tach go all the way up, just to see it (and maybe hear the pistons changing holes?)

Reply to
mack

Hope you told her to change it after 5,000

Reply to
Hachiroku

"Scott in Florida" wrote

You got that the wrong way: You are making a tall claim and, therefore, you must be the one providing facts and proof to support your oppinion!

Compare: I claim the tooth fairy and the easter bunny exist. NO ONE has EVER provided proof that they don't.

Reply to
Herb Ludwig

I had my first oil change at Jiffy Lube because I was in a hurry to get my maintenance done on my Geo Prism after I first bought it. I just did the second oil change today to discover that it is likely that they may have used an impact wrench to put my oil plug back in because it was so tight. They won't be seeing my business anytime again soon.

On another topic, I found it so awesome that they put a drain plug in the transmission pan. I had planned on installing my own but I was very happy when I saw that there was one already there.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

You have it wrong.....

It should be easy for all the people that claimed that it was Toyota's fault. They should have real receipts.

How can I prove anything is wrong with my Toyota. I change the oil and it does not sludge. Is your name Charlene?

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I arrived at this group on the tail end of Charlene Blake's rants. It's too bad since there appeared to be some lively discussions going on.

Do you think Charlene was really a woman?

Reply to
badgolferman

OK Scott, here goes.

Noo TSB's regarding any head change. I have not been advise of any changes. But I do know the valve cover is different, as the PCV valve screws in instead of popping into a rubber grommet. In August of 03, there was 2 engine avaialble, ie the 3.3 or 5MZFE, and the 3.0 or the

1MZFE.

No switch to synthetics until 2007 model years, then they went and changed the viscosity also, ie now its 0W20 and its ONLY synthetics, but this just happened with the introduction of the 07 models. All oil change intervals have been set at 5000 miles, regargdless of tyoe of service

Never any recall >Scott >

Yes.

She is a teacher in Northern Virginia.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Charlene was a rifle in the movie Full Metal Jacket.

Reply to
Alien

A tip, don't let synthetic put u to sleep. The motor oils still need changing way before 20 K miles. Whether it be synthetic or the regular, it still gets dirty and needs to be changed.

Personally I would not spend the extra $ on synthetic oil. I would however be sure to change oil ever 3 K miles, regardless if you use regular oil or the synthetic stuff.

Cheers

Reply to
dbu.

Women drivers are all alike, LOL...

Now I await for the ......

Reply to
dbu.

Well, not all... This one can drive okay.

badgolferman

Hubby and his friends maxed out the Corolla FX 16 to see how quickly it could get to top speed, so I know you're right!

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

...you got it!