smell gas from my 2000 Corolla

Hi, all

Recently, I start smelling gas from my 2000 Corolla with 145K miles on it. I never had any fuel maintainence work done on it and I am wondering what possbile cause. I have not noticed obvious gas mileage drop with my car, where should I look to see possible leaking? Thx.

Reply to
wenmang

Do you SEE a leak anywhere? When you fill the tank full? I would not suggest this now, if you do not fill the tank full as a rule. Fill it gradually and slowly, stopping occasionally and looking after stopping. This will tell you if the tank is leaking.

Then, after you do that, start the car, with the E-Brake on, and look underneath trying to trace the fuel lines to the front of the car (this you can do without filling the tank, BTW). See if there is a rust pinhole somewhere.

Of course, you HAVE replaced the fuel filter already, haven't you? And, you used new Crush washers for gaskets, right?

Is fuel welling up anywhere near the injectors or rails? Have a good look.

I would start with the fuel filter, if you have 145K and haven't done it yet. Also, check the piping and tubing around here for leaks or fraying.

Good luck.

Reply to
Hachiroku

If there are no leaks, check the charcoal canister as well.

Reply to
Ray O

Ya, dat too... :)

Reply to