Smells Like Smoke

I bought an 04 Avalon awhile ago and really like it. The PO, however, was a smoker and the car has that smoky odor. Any ideas on how to get rid of it. So far I'm using this stuff called Zorb and spraying it in the vents under the hood. The car has leather but of course the headliner is fabric. Thanks. jor

jor

Buy or build an ozone generator. This device will eliminate the odor permanently. You will have to set up the generator inside the car and leave the windows closed for a period of time, maybe a day or so depending on how much ozone gas is generated. These things can be built fairly easy, but it does require high voltage so maybe not exactly for someone that is not familar around high voltages. Perhaps they can be rented.

Reply to
dbu.

Febreeze is supposed to be good for this.

Reply to
Jeff

Keep a box of baking soda inside your car. Just be careful not to spill the powder.

Reply to
EdV

Had a problem like this about a year ago with another's car. Used a product called Oder Ban. It comes in a gallon container that you can dilute to make up to thirty two gallons of mix. It is available at Sam's Club so you might be able to get it at Walmart as well. Not too expensive either. The back label specifically addresses smoke issues on it as well as other smells.

We used a carpet cleaner with the upholstery wand, mixed it into the solution as directed and washed all the seats, carpet, and mats, but we did not do the headliner. We were afraid that once wet by the carpet cleaner, it might sag and not return to its normal tension, so we applied it by using a hand sprayer just fogging it on so not to wet it through and then let it dry. All of the interior plastic parts and glass were sponged off also. This was on a older vehicle after an electrical fire that was bad enough to fog the inside of the widows with smoke film. Really a pungent smell left from insulation and plastic burning.

It worked really great and I would say that almost all of the smoke smell was eliminated. The owner was amazed.

You could try doing what we did, but if you decide to do the headliner, I would strongly suggest that you test it on a small portion of it first. It might be the type that is bonded to a foam backer and end up being fine, but the car I mentioned earlier was not, and did not want to chance ruining it.

Reply to
user

I've seen it recommended to unwrap a bar or two of soap and place it under the seats...and leave it (or them) there to absorb odors. There's also a pretty good product in a spray can called Ozium that minimizes odors.

Reply to
mack

Thanks to all for the great ideas. This should keep me busy for awhile! I'm an ex-smoker and frankly enjoy secondary smoke but the old smoke smell is another matter. jor

Reply to
jor

Keep in mind that ozone is very corrosive and so you don't want to keep the generator running inside your car for a long time. It is very effective and I believe used car companies use this method to eliminate the smoke odor. As I said before the ozone generator is easy to construct, but not for someone who is unfamiliar with electrical and high voltage. Try to rent one.

The spray stuff is not effective. Just covers up the odor molecules. Ozone destroys them.

Reply to
dbu.

Good luck! I've been smoke free for the last 2 yrs and 5 months.

Reply to
EdV