smog check results

Took the '99 Camry in for a smog check, and while it passed, it looks like it just barely passed. Before the test, the mechanic made sure the car had been idling for at least 10 minutes.

Results at 15 mph: NO: 400 ppm (max allowed = 437 ppm) CO: 0.19% (max allowed = 0.50%) HC: 41 ppm (max allowed = 55 ppm)

I guess the NO is the worst of the results. Results were much better at 25 mph.

Any ideas what this could mean? No check engine light was on. Does my EGR valve need cleaning out, or...? I'd changed the oxygen sensor several years ago when it threw a check engine light code at me (with a cheap AutoZone O2 sensor).

Thanks!

Michael

Reply to
Michael

I guess I'll just look into these...

Michael

On one of my cars, I was borderline one year and then two years later I was way under. I asked the tester about this and he said that he only worrys about passing. Not about betting the biggest pass. Your NO may have been borderline when the tester stopped the test. If he went for the lowest number he could get, he likely could have given you the margin you expected. I would not worry about it if you passed.

Reply to
uncle_vito

Oh, okay. I didn't consider that. Thanks.

One thing that did surprise me: seems like most of the other states do not require a regular smog check! At least not in Ohio, Montana, Idaho or South Carolina, from what friends tell me. All this time, I thought every state had such a check.

Reply to
Michael

Oh, okay. I didn't consider that. Thanks.

One thing that did surprise me: seems like most of the other states do not require a regular smog check! At least not in Ohio, Montana, Idaho or South Carolina, from what friends tell me. All this time, I thought every state had such a check.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Not only does every state NOT have a smog check, some of them that do have smog checks have different checks in different counties. They not only do different tests, they have different numbers for passing the different tests. If the car moves from one county to another, the smog check that it has to pass can be more or less stringent depending on which way the car moved. And, you cannot take a car from a Difficult Test County to an Easy Test County because the car has to pass the test where it lives.
Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I was going to add that it's not just emissions checks/tests* that many don't have, mine (Iowa) doesn't do vehicle safety inspections either.

  • I have never understood why many call it a "smog check", cars don't emit smog, they emit the ingredients that the sun cooks into smog. calling it a "smog check" or "smog test" would be like pulling a bread inspection on a place that sells flour and yeast.

Yes this emissions test is a pain in your ass, especially if you fail, but you should be here where on a regular basis you can get passed by an old Ford truck with a wobbling wheel that is only hitting on 7 cylinders and running so rich it makes your eyes water.

Reply to
Daniel who wants to know

Regular basis, eh! Thought it was just the folks in Los Angeles.

Well I complain also because I have a friend with a truck that won't pass smog, so he can't drive it. He can't afford the $1000 or so to make it pass, either. And to think, if we just smuggle it across the border at night to Nevada, he would be home free. Ha!

Reply to
Michael