Something to be said for changing the oil every 3000 miles

If you have an oil cooler, there is quite a bit of oil you will never get out. Letting it sit and drain is a relative waste.

Reply to
uncle_vito

Our BMW uses synthetic oil and the factory change interval is 15,000 mi. I change it myself at 7500. This is half as long as recommended by BMW.

My toyota that uses c>> Synthetic oil changed at 7500 miles is actually half as long as >> recommended

Reply to
uncle_vito

Last I checked, that doesn't apply to all cars. Rather, the car makers determine the recommendations. Toyota recommended 5000 mi intervals for

2008 cars.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

Don't think that car has an oil cooler. Nor have any of the other cars I've owned over the years. Letting it sit and drain does not make a large difference in any case, but it does drain a small bit more dirty oil from the oil pan. Not huge, but it's just that much less that gets mixed with the new oil. I'm in no big rush, so I'll get as much out as I can.

Reply to
nm5k

On Wednesday, February 16, 2011 1:36:36 AM UTC-6, uncle_vito wrote:

So? I don't drive a BMW. My Toyota calls for 5000 mile changes, and they don't allow extended schedules if you use full synthetic. Not that I would want to do that even if they did. I think it's a bad idea. The main purpose of changing the oil is to flush the dirt and crud out of the engine. Not so much to replace the oil. Except for the depleted additives, oil does not really wear out per say. I use a synth blend, and still change every 5k. In the case of your BMW, I think you are doing the right thing by halving their suggested schedule. 15k miles is too long to wait as far as I'm concerned. No matter what car, and no matter what oil or filters are used. Like I say, the main purpose is not to change the oil, it's to dump the dirt, crud, moisture, unburnt fuel, acids, etc.. :( Ain't no way I would wait 15k miles, even if BMW thinks is acceptable. It's not acceptable to me. :/ I know when I change the oil in my clean running and burning Toyota after 5000 miles, it's plenty dirty enough for my tastes. And my car burns very little oil. I never have to add any between changes. In fact, it burns so little I rarely actually check the oil level between changes any more. It's always near full even after 5000 miles. And I'd like it to stay that way for a good while, which keeping fairly clean oil will help maintain. But that's just me. I don't care what anyone else wants to do. It's their car, and I didn't have to pay for it. So whatever floats their land yacht is fine with me... :|

Reply to
nm5k