source for weather seal?

1999 Camry

my trunk leaks dust, and my driver door whistles. when I put a rag in the seal, both are "cured"

what is the URL for a reliable source. Please provide the precise URL, many of these sites are inscrutable.

Reply to
58Retire
58Retire wrote in news:1194859479.051154.140840 @v65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

Well, your local Toyota dealer has these. If you don't want to go there, try a dealer who does business online:

But compare prices *including* taxes and shipping before ordering! Online may not be any cheaper than local.

You may also want to ask your local dealer if there any TSBs that deal with these problems. The fix may not be as simple as replacing weather seals.

Reply to
Tegger

You should also consider the time and expense of driving down to your local Toyota dealer (twice) to obtain the parts. Plus there is the hassle of waiting in line, and dealing with some (but certanly not all) of the parts counter people. It sems like one the local Toyota dealers goes out of its way to hire peopel who don't know a spark plug from a seat belt. I have dealt with some really good online parts dealers. If you Email them the information, they will respond with what you need. Some of the online parts guys even ask for your VIN - which can be key. One of the local dealers where I buy parts for my farm tractors has started charging me for shipping on special order parts - so they have zero advantage over the online places. They charge me for shipping even when I tell them to hold the order until they have a regular shipment.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Your Toyota dealer may be an anomaly. Mine has a fully stocked parts dept run by very knowledgeable and friendly folks, and there is never a wait standing in line for their help. And whenever I need a part, I go in once and pick it up...I've never had to have them order something from out of town necessitating a second trip to pick it up. One time, when I needed a hold-down plastic bracket for the hood strut (the thing that keeps the hood up when you're in the engine compartment) they just gave it to me at no charge, not even writing up an invoice.

Reply to
mack

I would doubt that an eight year old door or trunk seal is actually worn out. Misalignment of the door or poor trunk lid fit could be the problem especially if your car has previously been crash damaged (you did not mention that or don't know).

I am guessing that you put the rag in the door seal and the whistle stops. Yes, you are right they are both "cured" because the flow through vent ducting is now being effective. That could be why the trunk area sucks dust in. You did not mention that it leaks water.

Have the door alignment and trunk fit checked, and if it is a seal, buy the OEM stuff if you can get it IMHO. Good luck!

Reply to
user

Must be a really great department if they stock the weather seal for an eight year old car. It seems like the only time I need a part it is for something really weird.

The best parts department I have dealt with locally was at the VW dealer. And they had a horrible job. The guy spent 20 minutes helping me figure out which of 5 or 6 possible alternators by SO's daughter Jetta needed. What a nightmare. And they had the right one in stock - a sure sign the things were failure prone.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

"C. E. White" wrote in news:47385e33$1 @kcnews01:

Good point. I have the same problem with our local Toyota dealer. And every time I walk in there, there's somebody new behind the counter.

It took three tries and four trips before I managed to get the correct parts when I replaced the Tercel's timing belt and related parts last year. And *I* supplied *them* with all the part numbers off the original parts!

And then there were the problems I had trying to get them to sell me the correct size wiper blade refills. Honestly, how hard can that be?

There is a better dealer available to me, but they're 45 minutes away.

Reply to
Tegger

"mack" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

You got lucky. The Acura dealer I go to is like that. The parts manager has been there since 1986. He seems to know everything there is to know about the parts he sells. Great to deal with. Total opposite of the closest Toyota dealer I have to contend with.

Reply to
Tegger