stalls / won't start when hot

I have a 94 Corolla with 100k mi. Was my mom's car before she passed away. She took very good care of it / maintained it well.

Started stalling a few weeks ago when parked at idle. would turn over but not catch. After 10 min, would start on first try. Started stalling more often, on the highway, at stop signs, etc, would not re-start for

10-15 minutes.

Replaced wires, plugs, cap, rotor, pcv, ran better but same stalling problem. Replaced fuel filter, problem went away for a day. Would stall again, but would start right up. Now if I drive somewhere 10-15min, does not stall. after parking, go to start it up and won't start for

10-15 min. Then stalls whether at low idle or regular driving. I have cut into my rotors now keeping it revved up / shifting to neutral to keep the rpms up so it won't stall, which works for a while but then it stalls anyway.

Any ideas? I don't have the money for a mechanic to tell me it needs a new fuel pump, then a new distributor, then the problem is still there... Thanks in advance.

Reply to
phil

Sure sounds like the fuel filter is badly restricted. About the right age for that, if it hasn't been replaced already. Cheap and easy as well. And if that's not the cause, replacing it now will ensure that it won't *be* the cause of similar problems for the next decade or so.

Reply to
tbl

I replaced it last week. Ran better and didn't stall for about a day. I thought it may be bad gas but I recently ran it to empty. Is there some sensors I should check? Seemed to start stalling a few days after I took it in for an oil change/air filter replacement/lube at Walmart. What is that electrical sensor sticking out of the assembly connecting the air filter to the manifold? It looks old.

Reply to
phil

Don't take your car to a mechanic. Take it to a trained technician. A trained technician (like those at Toyota dealers) can properly diagnose your car by checking the basics - air, fuel, spark at the proper time. They can check fuel pressure and volume, fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump operation before changing it as a guess. They can check idle air control, and they can check your ignition.

Reply to
Ray O