starter motor failure

I have a toyota corolla 1.4 v v t x reg (2000) when I went to start it there is a loudish rasping sound and the starter does not connect,also all the warning lights go out and both the speedo and rev counter needles go two thirds round the clock, turn key off and there is a small click anth needles drop back, is it the motor or the relay or even a connecton fault. anybody got any clue please

Reply to
arcaig

My first guess would be the battery. If you have a voltmeter hook it up and with engine off check to see there is near 14 VDC. Then try cranking and see how low it drops. If less than 11 VDC then it is probably bad.

Reply to
badgolferman

Sounds like maybe the 'Bendix' inside the starter is screwed, this is a device which connects the spinning starter motor to the flywheel on the car's engine which disconnects the starter when the car engine starts...it might also be a broken tooth on the flywheel, if this is a stick shift, you might try 'rocking' (moving) the car slightly while it's 'in gear' to possibly move the flywheel a little (try to get away from a broken tooth). If it is the Bendix they're not very expensive (20 - 40 bucks) and the starter needs to come off to change it...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Well I would never have thought by the sound the starter was making that it was a dead cell in the battery,but that is what it was, a new one and away it went,you were right

Reply to
arcaig

I have had the same experience twice.

Reply to