Starter testing

I have a 1996 toyota corolla that doesnt start, wont make any noise when I try to crank it. The headlights and all the accessories will come on and Ive checked out the battery voltage so the battery seems to be ok. I measured for voltage at the B+ terminal on the starter and came out system voltage so its getting power. But when checked for voltage at the S terminal I got zero reading with the ignition switch in the on position. What does this mean?

Reply to
obsidian_vogue

Assuming the battery and leads are good, put a screwdriver from the power terminal to the little terminal, the engine should crank, if not change the starter or get your one checked over, it may only need brushes.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Check the S terminal with the ignition switch in the start position, not the on position.

Also, having 12 volts at the starter doesn't necessarily mean you have enough power to start the car. make sure the connections are tight and corrosion-free.

Do you have an automatic transmission? If so, try shifting to neutral and see if the car starts. if it does, the neutral safety switch is bad.

Reply to
Ray O