Starting Problem

I have a '97 Avalon XLS that I use daily w/no problems. The battery is

3 mos old. This evening I started it and saw that the ABS dash light was on. On my wife's Honda Odyssey this light sometimes comes on when the key is not fully in the ignition switch. So I turned the car off and tried to restart it. It wouldn't start, and no electric components would function: no interior or exterior ights, no PW, PL, keyless remote - nothing. I read the manual about resetting the theft deterrent system, but following that procedure has done nothing - the red light indicating the system is working doesn't come on. I did disconnect & reconnect the positive battery cable. The interior light came on and I was able to start the car and all lights seemed to work - for about 1 second. Then everything shut off. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting the + battery cable a few more times to repeat this, but it hasn't worked. Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks.
Reply to
Mainiac

Did you put a voltmeter on the battery to see if it is any good? You have to eliminate that as a problem before going to cables and starters or alternators. What happens when you try to jumpstart it? If you get it started take it to Autozone or such and get a free electrical system diagnosis.

Reply to
badgolferman

Thanks for the respone & suggestions. I did test the battery; it was fine. I tried jumpstarting it and the interior lights went on very briefly, but the car never turned over. I'm no mechanic, but I wonder if it's either something to do with the theft deterrent system, or with a main breaker of some kind.

Reply to
Mainiac

It sounds like you are getting a total loss of power. The most likely cause besides a bad battery is a loos battery cable or clamp. Make sure you check both ends of the ground wire.

Reply to
Ray O