Steering noises/vibration

I have a Japanese assembled 1996 Toyota Corona Premio (AT211 automatic with

7A-FE engine) which is making a noise which appears to come from the top of the steering column. The noise is associated with what I would describe as a judder (most common when returning from a left hand turn).

Power steer fluid level is correct, belt is correctly adjusted (as far as I can tell).

Any suggestion as to where to start or how to check/lubricate upper bearing

Reply to
FantomFan

It is difficult to diagnose the condition without experiencing it firsthand, but some things to check are the universal joints for the tilt steering column mechanism and in the engine compartment for binding; rack ends and ball joints for excessive play; tires for abnormal wear and bumps; CV joints for play or binding.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks Ray, Here's a bit more info if it helps.

Just had a hand on each side of the steering wheel and tried to wobble it, made a noise similar to two ball bearings hitting each other.

Does this help any with the diagnosis?

Reply to
FantomFan

I can't say that I've ever heard the sound you're describing under the conditions you're describing. If it sounds like the noise is coming from the top of the steering column, you might want to try removing the steering column cover. There are usually screws on the underside of the steering column cover that go through to the top half of the cover. With the covers removed, you may be able to see what the cause of the noise is. Also, place one hand on the turn signal stalk while you move the steering wheel and see if you can feel anything on the turn signal stalk. The sound may be coming from the mechanism that turns off the turn signal when centering the steering wheel. If the sound is coming from near the steering wheel, there is also a device that looks like a clock spring for the air bag that rotates and may be loose. If the sound is coming from closer to the dashboard, the cause might be the universal joint for the tilt steering wheel.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

Update on this - I had another look earlier and the clicking noise (like two metal balls contacting) was coming from the lower end of the column.

I squirted some CRC 5.56 back up the tube and the noise seems to have disapeared for now.

Is there a bearing in there that may need more attention?

Reply to
FantomFan

I am not familiar with your car as it is not sold in the U.S. There is probably a universal joint in the steering shaft in the engine compartment that sometimes makes noises or binds, and another u-joint on the interior side for the tilt steering column. There is dust seal where the column passes through the firewall, and a bearing or bushing at the upper end of the column, near the steering wheel. There is also a steering locking mechanism linked to the ignition lock that may be hanging up. I think the steering lock engages the shaft at the lower end of the column somewhere; it sounds like this is where you sprayed so this may be what you hit with the lubricant.

BTW, the screws that hold the steering column cover in place may be behind the steering wheel. If so, turn the wheel 90 degrees to expose the screws at the end of the column.

Reply to
Ray O