strange nosie while turning

while i was driving along the road tonight some idiot pulled out in front of me. so i slammed onthe brakes and swirved to the right in the process i hit the curb and scrated up the rim took a tiny chunk out of the side of the tire. when i was driveing home i noticed that when i turn the wheel to the right side(the side that hit the curb) it makes a poppin sound for a sec. what might this be?

1999 toyota camry 96k miles
Reply to
sbn16

sbn16 wrote in news:1_589438 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com:

If it's a broken bearing you could be taking your life in your hands.

Don't be stupid. Do what Philip advises and get a qualified person to look at it ASAP.

And don't drive it if you can help it until an inspection has been performed.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"TeGGeR®" wrote: > sbn16 wrote in > news:1_589438 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com: > > > while i was driving along the road tonight some idiot > pulled out in > > front of me. so i slammed onthe brakes and swirved to the > right in the > > process i hit the curb and scrated up the rim took a tiny > chunk out of > > the side of the tire. when i was driveing home i noticed > that when i > > turn the wheel to the right side(the side that hit the curb) > it makes > > a poppin sound for a sec. what might this be? > > > > 1999 toyota camry 96k miles > > > > > If it's a broken bearing you could be taking your life in your > hands. > > Don't be stupid. Do what Philip advises and get a qualified > person to look > at it ASAP. > > And don't drive it if you can help it until an inspection has > been > performed. > > -- > TeGGeR®

is that gonna be expensive? cause im not really made of cash and do you think it could be anything else? i know a little biut about cars im thinkin i might be able to fix it by my self if i can figure out wahts wrong

Reply to
sbn16

sbn16 wrote in news:1_589721 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com:

*IF* it's a bearing, expect about $300-$400 to fix.

But you are made of meat. Live meat does not do well when torn apart.

How much is your life (or insurance rate) worth? Do you love your loved ones?

Sure it could. But nobody knows until you've had it checked out. Banging into a curb is a good way to damage your wheel bearings. You can break a race or put little dents in it from the balls. Either is a big problem.

If you're posting here for this particular problem, you don't have any idea what you're doing. Get somebody to look at it who does.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

We don't know what's wrong or how much it will cost to fix, we can't see your car from our home computers. ;-) We can only go on the details you tell us, and a brand new sound after hitting a curb /can/ be bad - but it doesn't have to be.

It could be a simple and cheap fix, and getting it checked out will cost more than the repair. Could be a loose wheel stud or a loose bolt holding the suspension to the body, and it just creaks when you load it a certain way. He gets in there and tightens all the bolts, maybe pulls a few out to check that they are not cracked or stretched.

And you want to have them put the car on an alignment rack and check the wheel alignment after a hard curb hit anyway - by the time you notice that the tires are wearing funny, you could be out a few $75 to $150 tires.

The noise could also be a broken (or breaking) suspension part like a ball joint, wheel bearing, or a cracked suspension arm creaking as the metal bends around the crack. And if it finishes breaking and the suspension collapses on one side, or your car suddenly tries to make a hard right turn while you're going down the freeway at 70, things can get VERY exciting...

And a cracked alloy wheel rim will leak air as a warning, usually. But not always. That needs to be inspected, too - aluminum won't take much flexing before the crack grows and the wheel fails destructively.

Go to a good mechanic, explain to him personally exactly how you hit the curb so he knows what to look for, and have him check it all out.

(You do NOT tell the service advisor all the gory details and assume he'll tell the mechanic everything you said, he's not doing the work and may not pass on an important detail. If you slide sideways into the curb while carrying some speed, instead of just bumping it while parking, the dynamics are totally different.)

The worst thing that happens is they tell you it's a bad safety hazard and expensive to fix, so you very slowly and very carefully drive the car home on side streets. And you park the car safely at home for a few weeks while you get the repair money together.

Or if it's a bad alloy rim, rather than buying a new one at full retail right now, you put on the spare tire. And then you have time to scour the regional junkyards for a good replacement.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Reply to
Liberals are leaches

I saw a front wheel drive small type car, not Toyota, but one of the major brands hit a curb and it broke the casting part which connects the whole right hand wheel assy. No doubt it was a very expensive repair. It was not driveable in any way. Yours may be less expensive to fix but not safe to drive. I sure would get it checked before you drive it again. These little FWD cars are not designed to run into curbs. If you have collision insurance it may cover it. Reporting the incident to authorities would have been useful now.

Reply to
Dbu.

"Liberals are leaches" wrote: > TeGGeR® wrote: > > > > But you are made of meat. Live meat does not do well when > torn apart. > > > LOL > > -- > > >

found out what is wrong with it its a bad cv joint i had my friend look at it any i idea how much this will cost and is it a nessacary must do this second repair?

Reply to
sbn16

If you can fix it, then you can figure out what's wrong. If you gotta ask, then you should take it to a shop. It is possible that even if you ask, you can replace the part(s) yourself, but if you gotta ask what's broke to decide if you can fix it, then you need to get the car on a rack so somebody can point out the broken stuff.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Absolutely. A failing CV joint is like a failing diff. I've seen both fail - only once for each type in all my years of driving, but it was quite spectacular. Imagine seeing a tire with part on an axle attached flying 100 ft in the air and landing who knows where while the car augers into the road at 60mph. (though I have seen 2-3 rear diffs on fire - a whole other type of failure)

Most people can get away with it for weeks or months, though, but considering this was an accident and not normal wearing out, it could fail in a few months or a few miles.

Also, any rim that has a dent in it needs to be replaced if it's not very minor(a small nick). If it's aluminum/alloy, it doesn't bend like steel - it's like a crack in the windshield with no way to fix it - it cracks and tears itself apart over time.

The recommendation to drive on the spare until you can find a replacement rim is an excellent one.(this, btw, is the biggest reason to always look for a car with a full sized spare)

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

I replaced one from a junk yard in a old VW bug back in the seventies and I think it was $25. Now days maybe more like $250 or more if you do it yourself. I hope you don't have anything else busted.

Reply to
Dbu.