Strut Life

How long will struts last? My 01 Camry has 137k on the clock. There are no visable signs that they need replacing. But the ride isn't as soft as I remember. If I replace them, is there a better brand or place to get it done at...like monroe?

Tanks.. CP

Reply to
Charles Pisano

Thanks..The tech who did my valve cover gasket receltly said the car appeared 'bouncy'. Maybe I let him plant that seed. I don't know how he'd know that. He only drove it a few feet to the garage and back. They are oil filled (hydralic) struts right? I guess I should wait till I see them leaking, which they're not,

Reply to
Charles Pisano

One sign of wear is when you drive on a stretch of road who surface is like a washboard. We get a lot of that ripple effect when the ground thaws here. If your tires seem to be spending more time in the air then on the ground, it's time for new shocks. Obviously, this can be anything from an annoyance to a safety hazard. I've never gotten more than 75K to 100K on original shocks in any car I've owned, but I'm picky. YMMV

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Thanks..

Reply to
Charles Pisano

I don't know what brands are best, but you may want to check the Google Groups archives for posts in rec.autos.tech by Bob Paulin, who has tested many shocks and has a machine to do it.

In my case the shocks were fine, but the rubber upper bumper/bearing on one of the McPherson struts started disintegrating, and when I jacked up the car, the wheel stayed on the ground because the strut separated from the car. If you buy an entire shock assembly, complete with coil spring, it will include a new rubber bearing/bumper.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

I prefer Bilstein or Koni, if you plan on keeping the car "forever." You'll pay for 'em though.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Maybe the springs are worn out. If you replace the dampening struts you may want to replace the springs as well.

For example, if you put brand new springs on your existing struts, the dampening valving would probably create the noticeable bounce on rebound when going over a bump like a washboard road because the internals of the strut are worn.

I think that last summer there was a thread about this issue. You can measure the springs off the strut but that is not usually practical so you can also measure the ride height (or curb height) of the vehicle.

It's usually measured from the rocker to the ground, but every car model can be different.

Springs definitely wear out and are not that expensive to buy new. Most shops do not replace the springs because they do not warehouse them and have to be obtained on a job to job basis sometimes ordered. That costs time and money, so they don't usually mention them because you might go someplace else. That can be a mistake for the customer and not complement the new struts in regards of performance, and bringing back that "like new" ride.

If you decide to replace the struts and there is 137k on the car and you plan on keeping it for a while, spring for the new springs. The Toyota OEM stuff is good IMHO. You will also need an alignment when struts are replaced.

Reply to
user

Strut life varies greatly depending on road and environmental conditions. As they wear or fail, vehicle ride height will tend to get lower and the ride will feel softer and bouncier.

If you replace them at a Toyota dealer with OEM parts, you will get a lifetime parts and labor warranty honored at any Toyota dealer. Read the fine print on other "lifetime" warranties - some do not include labor, and some do not include related parts like nuts and bolts.

Reply to
Ray O

And some provide for only one replacement per lifetime. IOW once replaced, the warranty ends.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly