Stuck back wheel on a Corolla

93 Corolla LE 265,000 km.

Jack laments:

I could use some heavy-duty suggestions: My goal is to rotate my tires, in order to diagnose a wheel bearing vs. broken (tire) belt.

I can't remove the back right wheel. The rim won't let go. The drums are very old and rusty. I've tried penetrating oil, and driving with loosened bolts.

I've tried jacking it up and hammering a 2x6 on the rim from inside. How hard can I clobber this way before I damage something?

May I warm the hub lightly with propane, or will that harm neighbouring parts? What can I try next?

Your expert advice is appreciated, Jack.

Reply to
Ralph

When you drive with the loosened lug nuts, make several sharp turns in the direction opposite from the problem wheel.

You can clobber pretty hard without damaging something, however, you have to make sure the hammer doesn't bounce back and hit you.

A safer method would be to jack up the car and set it on jack stands, set a board against the problem wheel, set another board on the opposite wheel, place a jack sideways on one of the boards and use another board like a 4 x

4 to span from the top of the jack to the board on the opposite wheel. Raising the jack should push the wheel off.

Do you have alloy or steel wheels? In either case, spray penetrating oil where the wheel fits over the hub. When you finally get the wheel off, use fine sandpaper to remove any corrosion on the inside of the wheel and where the wheel mates with the hub and then apply anti-seize or wheel bearing grease where the wheel contacts the drum or disc and hub. Do not use lithium grease because the heat generated by braking could make it drip.

I don't think that propane will get hot enough to make a difference because the mass of the wheel will absorb the heat instead of expanding its fit on the hub.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

"Ralph" wrote in news:4385449f$1 snipped-for-privacy@news.cybersurf.net:

How long did you drive with the loosened nuts? That method is /extremely/ effective and much less harmful than hammering.

Loosen the nuts so you've got about 1/32" of slack from when they contact the wheel. Drive the car 100 ft or so, waggling the wheel as you go. Make sure you can drive over curbs or potholes. They'll eventually pop loose.

Reply to
TeGGeR®